Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Howa 7mm-08

Banned

Talking Re: Howa 7mm-08

Quote Originally Posted by obasch View Post
    Yeah. But it is not a 7mm-08.
    Indeed -- howPerspicacious of you
    IF we lived in a civilised country it would be a trivial matter to whip off that .308 barrel and put on a 7-08 one

User

Default Re: Howa 7mm-08

Quote Originally Posted by Brenneke View Post
    .......... it would be a trivial matter to whip off that .308 barrel and put on a 7-08 one
    In that gun Utopia you would not have to, just a bit further on on the display rack would be a selection of 7mm-08 rifles in all sorts of styles and makes to please even the most fastidious amongst us.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by obasch View Post
    In that gun Utopia you would not have to, just a bit further on on the display rack would be a selection of 7mm-08 rifles in all sorts of styles and makes to please even the most fastidious amongst us.
    Absolutely
    Thank you

User

Quote Originally Posted by SBB View Post
    Will never forget a client coming to hunt with me and his 7mm-08 arrived without its ammo at the airport. He hunted with my 3006 for the 14 days he was here, his first safari. He came for about 7 years after that religiously and always hunted with me...with his new 308 win.

It is a good caliber that fills the role of a medium bore like many others albeit with ammo scarcity unless you reload.

The importers import on what they think will sell for obvious reasons. In the last 10 years certain calibers have taken a knock due to some new comers and advancement in LR bullet choices. I've seen some good deals on Howa 7MM Rem Mags and 270's. They are just not the flavour of the month at the moment unfortunately.

As a side note I've just picked up a mint sako 222 l461 for a song. I want to possibly build a 6.5 grendel out of the action...sacrilegious...but I'm looking into.
    Quick question, the deals on HOWA 7mm RemMags, where were they? Just what I’m looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by Redhawk75 View Post
    Quick question, the deals on HOWA 7mm RemMags, where were they? Just what I’m looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    They were Humansdorp CoOp but are sold out I think. Their prices are still however good. Bare in mind with Somchem the 7mmRM doesn't get the performance as the books state in the States as far as I am aware.

Banned

Cody's 7mm08 is getting a lot of use lately, I am really impressed with it, it seems to do everything my 270 Win does with less recoil and bang etc.
    It really is a awesome little gun, tempted to call it a awesome toy. I would at this stage of my hunting easily hunt Eland with it, ( my kinda size afford Eland). With a good bonded bullet it will really do a lot with out much show and flair.

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    Cody's 7mm08 is getting a lot of use lately, I am really impressed with it, it seems to do everything my 270 Win does with less recoil and bang etc.
    It really is a awesome little gun, tempted to call it a awesome toy. I would at this stage of my hunting easily hunt Eland with it, ( my kinda size afford Eland). With a good bonded bullet it will really do a lot with out much show and flair.
    On side note, I see your using the 120gr TTSX, any thoughts about using the 140gr version?

User

Quote Originally Posted by DaavG View Post
    On side note, I see your using the 120gr TTSX, any thoughts about using the 140gr version?
    I have not used the TTSX bullets in 7mm, however, I have hunted with the old Barnes X in a 7x57 in 130-, 140-, 150- and 160gr weights and came to the conclusion that the 130gr is the best of the lot. It penetrates well enough to kill even large eland bulls, makes the same size wound channel, shoots somewhat flatter and (due to the higher impact velocity) expand more reliably than the heavier bullets, at longer ranges.
    I still use the 130gr, I have a good supply, when hunting larger antelope with the 7x57.
    Based on the above, I do not think that the 140gr TTSX will offer any advantages over the 120gr TTSX for hunting purposes.

Banned

Was worried about velocity when I considered the 140 Gr.
    I wanted velocity for flatter trajectory, with it being a child's rifle.
    I believe that the 140 gr must surely be a penetration monster.

User

I had such good results with the 120g TTSX on all game, that I tried the 110g TTSX. I've so far tested it on springbok and takbok, and it worked as expected, good expansion and super flat shooting.

The only time I ever felt I needed more penetration was on a waterbuck bull. Amazingly tough animals!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4