Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default SAPS271 Questions

Hi all
    Im finally at that time that I'll be handing in my application on this coming Monday.
    Hopefully all will go well with the application, I have about 70 pages of supporting documentation, that being news clippings, crime stats, proof of employment, CIPC form (as I also have a small business), etc.
    Entire dossier is about 110 pages (including all forms, images, proof of address, ID, etc), the motivation itself is about 11 pages long

I have some questions on SAPS271 though :

1. Particulars of Applicant - 1.7 - Competency Expiry Date - What do I put in here? My print out doesnt have an expiry date
    2. Particulars of Applicant - 68.1 - Safe - I have indicated that I have a handgun safe, do I need to supply additional details in that same line?

User

Default Re: SAPS271 Questions

My comp doesn’t have an expiry date either. If memory serves I just didn’t put an expiry date on the forms.

As for the safe, I typically include photos of my safe (including pics where you can see the bolts holding it down). Then make mention in my motivation that I have an approved safe of x type that is bolted to the wall or floor or whatever with whatever bolts they want you to use. I think it’s m8 x 80 or something along those lines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by CZsamurai View Post
    My comp doesn’t have an expiry date either. If memory serves I just didn’t put an expiry date on the forms.

As for the safe, I typically include photos of my safe (including pics where you can see the bolts holding it down). Then make mention in my motivation that I have an approved safe of x type that is bolted to the wall or floor or whatever with whatever bolts they want you to use. I think it’s m8 x 80 or something along those lines.

I've included 3 images of the safe showing door closed (with serial), door open showing bolts and close up showing bolts with safe certificate stating its SABS approved.
    I've also filled out a SAPS Safe declaration giving full specs of the safe and full specs are in my motivation

User

If you fill out the "Safe Declaration" it forces the DFO to do a physical inspection. If not they sometimes/mostly just make you sign the declaration on SAPS271 that you have a prescribed safe (and thereby place the onus on you).

As with these things in general it is however the luck-of-the-draw with handing in, so maybe have the "safe declaration" handy, but not an integral part of your application?

User

Quote Originally Posted by GORBY View Post
    If you fill out the "Safe Declaration" it forces the DFO to do a physical inspection. If not they sometimes/mostly just make you sign the declaration on SAPS271 that you have a prescribed safe (and thereby place the onus on you).

As with these things in general it is however the luck-of-the-draw with handing in, so maybe have the "safe declaration" handy, but not an integral part of your application?
    Seems like good advice. I didn’t know the “Safe Declaration” was a thing and I’ve never had a safe inspection. The less they have to do, hopefully the faster it goes.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Bl4d3 View Post
    Entire dossier is about 110 pages
    Are you applying for an army tank??

I applied last Thursday again. But every time my DFO gives me a form to fill in for the safe I have. Which I need to sign.

I still have the A4 printed competency from my previous renewal. And it has no expiry date on.

DFO just mentioned that when for example my shotgun comes up for renewal next year. They will do with that a renewal of competency. After which I will receive a card again. I understood it from him. That competency stays valid until the firearm you have in that category has to be renewed. My O/U shotgun is renewable next year. However I just applied for another Shotgun. So which means that if approved will delay my competency again by 10 years.

User

I'll leave the safe declaration out then and see what happens.

I went to the DFO today only to be turned around as DFO isn't open today. Whole station is covered in police tape, I assume due to Covid-19.
    I spoke to who seemed to be the station commander (judging by age, I didnt see his rank) and he said the DFO will be open tomorrow. I phoned about 30min later to confirm they then told me they dont know when they'll open.

Banned

Talking Re: SAPS271 Questions

Quote Originally Posted by JhbBoy View Post
    Are you applying for an army tank??
    NO
    He is writing a thesis .......

Banned

I have filled in the expired old date as on card, no issues - I think they use other criteria, not that on card.
    My average application is two pages longer than that received as application form, one page attached as weapons list and another attached for a motivation of about half a page.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast