Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Storage Permit

Default Storage Permit

Hey guys

Just a quick one. What is required for a storage permit? Just fill out and dfo signs it?

Cheers

User

Default Re: Storage Permit

Not a legal requirement, but the DFO's normally will only issue the permit if you have a licence for the same firearm type.

I do not know if the rules are still the same but I used to store the neighbours rifles when he went on leave. I had to provide a copy of one of my fire arms licenses and ID and photo of the safe. We then completed the relevant SAPS form indicating the reason for the storage and the period. The DFO then signed, stamped and issued the form to me and I had to keep it for legal purposes. Of course the person storing the fire arms can not use the arms.

Thanks guys. Obviously no taking it out.

What are valid reasons for storage of the firearm ..... if I purchase a firearm privately, may i get permission to store it until licensed in my name.

User

Quote Originally Posted by MikeF View Post
    What are valid reasons for storage of the firearm ..... if I purchase a firearm privately, may i get permission to store it until licensed in my name.
    Yes, provided you have other licences.
    A lot of sellers won't do this though.

Banned

I paid for the 30-06 that I own and kept it in my safe till the license was approved. No use allowed.

My DFO gave me twice over the years storage permission when I purchased. However last 2 years at least they have said no when its done during a purchase.

Besides. If I sell one of my firearms to another person. I will at best for him store it at a reputable dealer. Not in the buyers safe. As it puts too much unnecessary risk on me as the owner while he waits for card.

Quote Originally Posted by phant1m View Post
    Hey guys

Just a quick one. What is required for a storage permit? Just fill out and dfo signs it?

Cheers
    Varies from DFO to DFO.

Douglasdale DFO requires:

2 x original SAPS 539 signed by license holder, with reason for storage.
    2 x cerified copies of license holders ID and license (They also confirm that license is still valid)
    2 x certified copies of person storing FA, ID
    2 x certified copies of person storing FA, Competency for that type of FA.
    2 x certified copies of person storing FA, current license for a firearm of the same calibre.
    Safe declaration with pics.
    Proof of address.

Once they'v checked and stamped, 1 set of docs stays with them and the other set goes home with the FA.

As mentioned, different DFO's different rules, a friends DFO in Germiston, doesn't require existing license in same caliber, only appropriate competency. DFO is another friend's area doesn't even keep a copy.

Banned

If you are not going to use the gun, why same caliber license and competency? Mindless rules.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast