Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default CNC Aluminium machining

Hey guys, I hope this is the right section. I want to machine a mounting plate out of aluminium, but I'm not sure what it would cost. I have a rough model of what I'd like, but I'm not exactly sure if the dimensions are correct for a good fit on my gun.

I would like to find out if any of you guys do some CNC machining, so I can get an idea of what it would cost.
    If it's not too badly priced, I would prefer to get my Rough model made and refined as needed and do a final one afterwards. It would be a bit easier to make sure it fits as a lot of my dimensions were from inches and I rounded values a bit.

So if anyone has an idea of who I could contact or someone who might have an idea on costs, please let me know.

The plate would be approximately 50mm x 30mm x 10mm of Aluminium. I know this isn't much info, but just an idea of how little aluminium would be required.

Best regards

Sent from my BLA-L29 using Tapatalk

User

Default Re: CNC Aluminium machining

For what you want, unless you can do the CAD and CAM programming yourself, or it is a really complex part, manual machining will be much cheaper.
    Where about in the world are you?

User

I second manual machining.
    If you are not sure about fit you can always get a part 3D printed first to check fit and then have the part machined.

Perhaps state where you are based might help

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

User

Aluminium is not necessarily easier to machine just because its soft.
    I have a very big CNC milling machine and I useEdgecam for programming, machine size 2400 x 800 x 700, and it goes for about R1200 per hour just to give you an Idea

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm in Johannesburg. Randburg area.

Quote Originally Posted by Grim View Post
    For what you want, unless you can do the CAD and CAM programming yourself, or it is a really complex part, manual machining will be much cheaper.
    Where about in the world are you?
    I made a SolidWorks model. Would that be sufficient?

User

Quote Originally Posted by VolderTort View Post
    I made a SolidWorks model. Would that be sufficient?

You've saved a lot of money already...

From there, the model needs to be put through a cam software to program in the tools, original billet dimensions, feed rates & depth of cut etc., and converted to g-code that the machine will understand. then the operator needs to set up the blank, press a button, and wait for the part (not quite, but almost...) so basically all of the work for cnc goes in the preparation, and it is then set up to churn out multiple parts quickly and easily to offset the initial time investment. That is why it is cheap for multiple parts, and incredibly expensive for one offs.

With an existing solidworks model (and the skill to alter it), I agree that 3d printing until you are certain that you have the design correct is the way to go. then you can get it cnc'd (see machine time guide above), find someone to do it on a cnc router, or get it manually machined.

User

Are you sure the plate you want doesn't already exist in some form?Unless the firearm is very unusual or the application chances are you could buy one already.
    Quote Originally Posted by VolderTort View Post
    Hey guys, I hope this is the right section. I want to machine a mounting plate out of aluminium, but I'm not sure what it would cost. I have a rough model of what I'd like, but I'm not exactly sure if the dimensions are correct for a good fit on my gun. I would like to find out if any of you guys do some CNC machining, so I can get an idea of what it would cost. If it's not too badly priced, I would prefer to get my Rough model made and refined as needed and do a final one afterwards. It would be a bit easier to make sure it fits as a lot of my dimensions were from inches and I rounded values a bit. So if anyone has an idea of who I could contact or someone who might have an idea on costs, please let me know. The plate would be approximately 50mm x 30mm x 10mm of Aluminium. I know this isn't much info, but just an idea of how little aluminium would be required.Best regardsSent from my BLA-L29 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Grim View Post
    You've saved a lot of money already...

From there, the model needs to be put through a cam software to program in the tools, original billet dimensions, feed rates & depth of cut etc., and converted to g-code that the machine will understand. then the operator needs to set up the blank, press a button, and wait for the part (not quite, but almost...) so basically all of the work for cnc goes in the preparation, and it is then set up to churn out multiple parts quickly and easily to offset the initial time investment. That is why it is cheap for multiple parts, and incredibly expensive for one offs.

With an existing solidworks model (and the skill to alter it), I agree that 3d printing until you are certain that you have the design correct is the way to go. then you can get it cnc'd (see machine time guide above), find someone to do it on a cnc router, or get it manually machined.
    That sounds like a lot of work. Thanks for the info bud. I think CNC would be too much work for a single plate.

Quote Originally Posted by DstUrges View Post
    Are you sure the plate you want doesn't already exist in some form?Unless the firearm is very unusual or the application chances are you could buy one already.
    So I wanted something like this. Dave sheer sells one for the shield rms.
    But I wanted one for an rmr or holosun. I've read online that people's screws shear off with the normal plate and/or loosens often. So was just thinking of making something like this to support an optic little better than the stock plate. Plus make it look nicer.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast