Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Another first time gun buyer - looking for help

Hello members
    I recently decided to take the plunge and pursue purchasing my first firearm (handgun). This is after a few years of shooting at ranges in Cape Town, with various handguns and rifles. I've always had a huge interest in sport/target shooting but realise I need a number of questions answered before I spend real money.

Reading a few other threads have given me a good starting point so have read the FCA (particularly s11 onwards). I believe I would be looking to pursue a dedicated sports shooting licence.

What is certain is that I don't have that much experience, practically, in the world of firearms so while I understand certain aspects in theory, I would ask for practical insights from experienced people such as yourselves.

Questions:
    * Is False Bay gun club a good place to do my competency? And to join as my club. I live in the area but will travel if there is better.
    * Should I think about an occasional sports shooting licence rather than dedicated?
    * Which gun shop is reputable and would be the best to build a long term relationship with? I would like to purchase my first handgun here, as well as a rifle in time. (in Cape Town surrounds). I also factor in maintenence and support, long term.
    * Can I do tactical shooting anywhere, rather than just targets?
    * The big question, which handgun should I buy first? Note below:
    * I don't mind spending the money to buy an objectively good gun. (albeit, over 12-15k might be a bit much).
    * I would want a gun that can be easily supported and maintained. This makes me think a Glock etc, would be best.
    * I would like to carry it edc too. I am 5.7 but stocky so any views on this? I ask as I won't be able to see every gun out there to compare but I do want a larger mag capacity, with accuracy. I originally thought a glock 26 or 43 but this isn't great for the range (primary focus), no?
    * I think I am looking at Cz-po7 (big), Sig p320c, or glock 19.

I apologise for the long post but it's a big decision with many factors that go into it. I also don't want to rush it.

I welcome any and all views, questions and feedback.
    Thanks guys

User

Default Re: Another first time gun buyer - looking for help

Hi and welcome

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

User

My humble opinion is that the general thinking in SA is to go either CZ or Glock due to good aftersales backup. Meaning that spares and mags are freely available.

If you going to use your self defence firearm for sport shooting you going to need at least 4 mags for sport which you should keep separately from your self defense mags, hence the availability and price of extra mags and parts availability become factors.

Glock or CZ mags retail for R500/R600 compared to for example sig sauer mags that can retail for upwards of R1000 if and when they are available.

Perhaps apply for a self defence gun first, use same to double as your sport gun and then once you enjoying yourself, buy another pistol for sports shooting. Maybe use s15 at first to fill that occasional sport slot for the additional pistol. You can also justify buying a manually operated rifle and pump action under section 15. You cannot get a license for a semi auto rifle or shotgun under occasional sports.

Once you really up and running and find yourself at the range most weekends, it could be a sign that you "dedicated", thus justifying a move to obataining Dedicated Status and thereby buying more guns (not limited in number and type) to be used in your chosen sport.

I'm sure other okes will weigh in and give advice on the gunshops in CTN. I'm in Joburg, however, have dealt with City guns, Suburban guns and VGK with whom I have had positive experiences either in buying a gun from them or having them store and ship guns I've bought privately.

Good luck!

Sent from my G3221 using Tapatalk

User

Glock 19 or CZP07 should tick all your boxes.

User

Quote Originally Posted by batman69 View Post

Agreed

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

User

Agreed. I have a P07. It's my EDC. But I also use it in steel challenge comps. I have 5 mags. 2 for edc. And 3 for comps.
    As for tactical rifle shooting. In CT you have Pietskiet. Pieter Malan from Impact Pro. Check his YouTube channel. Lots of prs opportunities in the Cape area.

Quote Originally Posted by Electroal View Post
    Agreed. I have a P07. It's my EDC. But I also use it in steel challenge comps. I have 5 mags. 2 for edc. And 3 for comps.
    As for tactical rifle shooting. In CT you have Pietskiet. Pieter Malan from Impact Pro. Check his YouTube channel. Lots of prs opportunities in the Cape area.
    How do you treat your EDC mags differently from your comp mags? Just the ammo carried?

User

If you live close to false bay ssc it would make sense to become a member, limited distance though if you plan on getting into rifle shooting.

User

Quote Originally Posted by batman69 View Post

This.

If you want to go sub compact, then the G26 will be a nice EDC, but a bit of a hand full in competition. The CZ P10C will also be a nice option.

Go handle as many handguns as you can and see what you like.

sounds like you are looking for 1 gun to fulfill 2 roles, personally, i would buy 1 gun per role

if sports focused then CZ shadows are top notch (this is the buy once cry once scenario)

if edc focused, i match the gun according to my clothes for the day (so various firearms are factored in)

if you are looking for a balance of both then for hammered fired i would go with a de-cocker platform and if a striker fired platform well the list is endless but would opt for either M&P 2.0, Glock Gen5s, CZ p series

From an objective standpoint, the M&P 2.0 series is really good out of the box and the Pretoria retail is about R8.5k which beats Glock and CZ at their current like for like offerings

I own Glocks (i like them), i own m&p's and i own a CZ (but this is more of a sports focused CZ) ;

Try many firearms out as possible before committing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast