Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: What now???

Unhappy What now???

Hi all

I have a weird problem. I am emigrating at the end of the month (pending flights etc, long story). The plan was to sell my FA, which would require dealer storage at some point. In the total confusion that is emigrating in the middle of a lockdown I have now realized that my license expired in 2017 (completely my fault, hand on heart the thought of having to renew it has never crossed my mind).

Chatted to my DFO this morning, and they wont renew expired licences until there is (if there is) another amnesty period. I also understand from my local dealer that I cant store with an expired licence.

So from what I can tell:

1) I cant take it with me
    2) I cant sell it
    3) I cant store it

Any suggestions? I know this is my doing

Separately - it seems odd that the SAPS would rather turn me away knowing I have an unlicensed FA than renew an expired licence.

User

Default Re: What now???

Quote Originally Posted by donno View Post
    Hi all

I have a weird problem. I am emigrating at the end of the month (pending flights etc, long story). The plan was to sell my FA, which would require dealer storage at some point. In the total confusion that is emigrating in the middle of a lockdown I have now realized that my license expired in 2017 (completely my fault, hand on heart the thought of having to renew it has never crossed my mind).

Chatted to my DFO this morning, and they wont renew expired licences until there is (if there is) another amnesty period. I also understand from my local dealer that I cant store with an expired licence.

So from what I can tell:

1) I cant take it with me
    2) I cant sell it
    3) I cant store it

Any suggestions? I know this is my doing

Separately - it seems odd that the SAPS would rather turn me away knowing I have an unlicensed FA than renew an expired licence.
    I hate to say this but the only option would be to hand it in to SAPS to be destroyed.

The worst option of all.

Hmmm, yes I agree that the only option would be to bury it in the veld, but how would I find it again?

If you need me tomorrow I’ll be at the Edenvale SAPS begging 😢

Hmmm, yes I agree that the only option would be to bury it in the veld, but how would I find it again?

If you need me tomorrow I’ll be at the Edenvale SAPS begging
    To hide it won't solve the problem. Begging at the police station won't ether. The DFO at the police station can't do anything to help you. I think your only option is to hand it in and ask and hope they can store it for you. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In the total confusion that is emigrating in the middle of a lockdown I have now realized that my license expired in 2017.
    You realised in the confusion of lockdown that your licence expired in 2017??? Really? Apologies for my bluntness and total lack of sympathy, but I just don't understand how anyone can forget they have a firearm licence for 3 years. With all the publicity of private firearm licensing it's unbelievable that you could have been unaware of the laws.

Thank you for your constructive feedback, Springer. I take it that you have emigrated during a lockdown before and therefore are speaking from experience. No sympathy needed, was looking for advice.

My post, while repeatedly admitting my error, says that I had not even thought renewing it since receiving it. In fact, I have used it at ranges, including joining a club last year and it was never pointed out to me either. Again, 100% my mistake, but I assume I am not the first/only/last to do this. I only realized this mistake when I enquired about selling/storing it and the dealer asked if my license was still valid.

Wezza/Henk - thanks, let me go and chat to the SAPS and see what they say.

So people missed their renewal period. Then they give opportunity to renew under amnesty and people fail again to renew.

Somehow I dont feel sad for people who cant keep up with their admin on especially items like firearms.

Thank you for your constructive feedback, Springer. I take it that you have emigrated during a lockdown before and therefore are speaking from experience. No sympathy needed, was looking for advice.

My post, while repeatedly admitting my error, says that I had not even thought renewing it since receiving it. In fact, I have used it at ranges, including joining a club last year and it was never pointed out to me either. Again, 100% my mistake, but I assume I am not the first/only/last to do this. I only realized this mistake when I enquired about selling/storing it and the dealer asked if my license was still valid.

Wezza/Henk - thanks, let me go and chat to the SAPS and see what they say.
    "It was never pointed out to me" - Ja. OK. Good luck with your move.

Quote Originally Posted by shooty View Post
    So people missed their renewal period. Then they give opportunity to renew under amnesty and people fail again to renew.

Somehow I dont feel sad for people who cant keep up with their admin on especially items like firearms.
    Indeed.

User

Nobody asked you to get sad .... get over yourself!

He asked for advice, end of story. If you cannot give advice, just keep your opinions for yourself.

Maybe time for a few of you to join facebook groups where members act this immature.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast