Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

Thread: What now???

User

Default Re: What now???

Quote Originally Posted by Brenneke View Post
    I wonder how many people have actually thought this whole thing through ... ?

The "state" can quite easily pass a law -- LEGAL you see and publish in the Government Gazette
    That
    From this time forward ALL firearms in private possession are ILLEGAL -- again a completely LEGAL process
    and
    Must be handed in at the nearest SAPS for destruction ...

ALL COMPLETELY LEGAL ... seeing as according to the compromise made back in 2000 or whenever the possession of a firearm by a private person is a PRIVILEGE -- NOT -- a right !

All it needs is the ANC sitting in Parliament to pass it and I am quite sure they will get the full majority of votes

From the alacrity with which you all appear to want to be "legal" I imagine this process will take place with very LITTLE resistance !

SO
    There is some "BS" for you !
    It seems it is you who has not thought the matter through.
    The original poster of this thread asked for advice on what to do with a lapsed license firearms as he is immigrating.

His ONLY legal recourse is to surrender it to SAPS for destruction and follow the government mandated process for license removal from his name.

Your advice would potentially open him up to criminal charges in the future possibly affecting his immigration status or worse.
    What is sad is that by advocating this you are supporting the argument that no gun owners in SA are responsible or will follow legislation, only bringing us closer to a GFSA nirvana.

You attack me because I cannot be sure of what happens after I surrender my firearm to SAPS legally............????

I surrendered a firearm to SAPS in accordance with the act. I trust they will do what is correct. Should they not I am not liable for their actions as the legal responsibility, as mandated by the act, has passed to them.

I can no more verify their process of destruction any more than I can apply spending oversight to my income tax payments, VAT payments or PAYE.

I have the same responsibility as a bottle store owner who sells liquor within the mandated guidelines of the act.
    The bottle store owner cannot apply oversight to every bottle of alcohol he sells. He follows the law and trusts that his product will be used responsibly. The same applies to the Pharmacist who dispenses opioid based pain killers.

You would like me to potentially face criminal charges and throw myself on the altar of what you perceive is correct??!!
    I will not.

I will maintain my ability to legally possess firearms in the future, work, immigrate and travel because I do not have a criminal conviction or pending charges.

If you are to stupid to look after your own interests by being legally compliant you are headed for a very bad outcome.

User

FFS people its a .40 S&W H&K!

To the OP; this is what I suggest. Take it to the range with a squib load of S121 loaded behind a 180gr bullet. According to almost everybody who blew up their .40 it was because of a REDUCED load. (Yea I know, that's BS...)

OK take it to the range with a squib that gets stuck in the barrel and a COMPRESSED load for the next round. Congratulations, you have just deactivated your .40. Legally to boot! Show me case law where someone got prosecuted for bad sloppy reloading and I will admit defeat. (Remember to fire the gun remotely... Duct tape and string is all you need... )

Now advertise the H&K mags (H&K Mags = BIG $$$$$$...mmm) and whatever parts you can salvage to someone on GS looking for H&K spares (There will be takers, You will make a killing...)

Hand in your gun that accidentally got damaged while testing ammo / shooting out old ammo.

Live happily ever after with a clean conscience knowing that a gun that went Kaboom (By accident of course) CANNOT be used to kill another person (unless you beat him to death or stab him with the parts?)

That wasn't so difficult now, was it?

User

To the OP; this is what I suggest. Take it to the range with a squib load of S121 loaded behind a 180gr bullet. According to almost everybody who blew up their .40 it was because of a REDUCED load. (Yea I know, that's BS...)

OK take it to the range with a squib that gets stuck in the barrel and a COMPRESSED load for the next round. Congratulations, you have just deactivated your .40. Legally to boot! Show me case law where someone got prosecuted for bad sloppy reloading and I will admit defeat. (Remember to fire the gun remotely... Duct tape and string is all you need... )

Now advertise the H&K mags (H&K Mags = BIG $$$$$$...mmm) and whatever parts you can salvage to someone on GS looking for H&K spares (There will be takers, You will make a killing...)

Hand in your gun that accidentally got damaged while testing ammo / shooting out old ammo.

Live happily ever after with a clean conscience knowing that a gun that went Kaboom (By accident of course) CANNOT be used to kill another person (unless you beat him to death or stab him with the parts?)
    Perfect solution, elegant in its simplicity. Errr..whos going to drop the hammer on said rounds?

Just saw the remote firing part..

Banned

Thumbs up Re: What now???

Quote Originally Posted by M43 View Post
    It is a very cold and frosty morning here with the frost thick on the ground
    I woke up at 03h00 battling with very painful Shingles that has been bugging me two weeks now
    and
    A sick cat that has to go to the vet

But
    You have shone a ray of rare sensible sunshine to brighten my morning ...

Well done

Hi Kola , my comment about heads in the sand only refers to the people who felt it necessary to admonish the OP for missing the renewal etc.
    My take on this is that the OP was not shifting responsibility or looking for sympathy so why keep on about this ?

I have great respect for the advice , commentary and insights expressed on this forum . M43's advice is a good example of a solution that may appeal to the OP and still keep said handgun out of criminal hands.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by M43 View Post

Brilliant!

my heart at the sea and my soul in the mountains

Quote Originally Posted by Brenneke View Post
    It is a very cold and frosty morning here with the frost thick on the ground
    I woke up at 03h00 battling with very painful Shingles that has been bugging me two weeks now
    and
    A sick cat that has to go to the vet

But
    You have shone a ray of rare sensible sunshine to brighten my morning ...

Well done
    shingles? have you tested for the current bugger?
    live out your imagination , not your history.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7