Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Legal Issues

User

Default Legal Issues

I've been seeing a lot of large caliber pcp airguns for sale lately, the reps claiming no license is needed. I'm no expert, but I was under the impression that airguns >.22 and generating more than 8 joules required a license.

Has this changed? If so, when? If not, what are the legal ramifications for those who are caught with them and for those that peddle them?

Interested to hear what those in the know have to say.

cheers

User

Default Re: Legal Issues

Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
    I've been seeing a lot of large caliber pcp airguns for sale lately, the reps claiming no license is needed. I'm no expert, but I was under the impression that airguns >.22 and generating more than 8 joules required a license.

Has this changed? If so, when? If not, what are the legal ramifications for those who are caught with them and for those that peddle them?

Interested to hear what those in the know have to say.

cheers
    It has not changed. They are poking the bear's bollocks with a very sharp stick

User

Roach is right, but it's a mess. As you said, you can buy them anywhere, they're not regulated and they're not licensed. Gap in the FCA of note.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    Roach is right, but it's a mess. As you said, you can buy them anywhere, they're not regulated and they're not licensed. Gap in the FCA of note.
    They are meant to be licenced, since they are defined as firearms, but CFR apparently does not know how

User

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    The gap is not in the FCA, but in the people that are supposed to enforce the FCA. It also did not help that the calibre codes were not in the CFR system until about a year or two ago.

Quick question, are all these large caliber type air rifles dependent on an outside source for propulsion? In other words do you need a tank of gas to refill all these kinds of power air rifles, so when you run out it's the end of shooting. Sorry if it's a stupid question, but I'm just familiar with the break-barrel rifles.

User

Yes they run out and you have to refill, usually a Dive cylider or a hand pump that can go up to 250 Bar .
    But you can get a good number of shots from one , I had a .22 Daystate Airwolf that managed 230 shots from one fill.

Quote Originally Posted by BEX View Post
    Yes they run out and you have to refill, usually a Dive cylider or a hand pump that can go up to 250 Bar .
    But you can get a good number of shots from one , I had a .22 Daystate Airwolf that managed 230 shots from one fill.
    A hand pump, so you wouldn't need a gas bottle, just the pump and the gun?

User

IF YOU ARE NOT THE CFR OR THE IMPORTER YOU SHOULDN'T BE CONCERNING YOURSELF ABOUT THIS!

Keep in mind some customs dude had a look at these and gave it a thumbs up.

User

When the inevitable overreaction from the powers-that-be happens, please don't whine about how nobody knew it had to be licensed.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast