Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Legal Issues

User

Default Re: Legal Issues

George, Do you have any licensed firearms?

If so, Why?

If you got offered a full auto R5, would you take it? Would you be worried about being caught with it?

If someone is caught with one of these air rifles, they will personally be charged with illegal possession of firearm. saying that you bought it from someone else will not absolve you of the responsibility of possession. If enough of this happens, ALL airrifles will be looked at. And if you look at the situation with black powder revolvers, licensing is a possibility, and one that I would like to avoid.

Banned

Arrow Re: Legal Issues

Quote Originally Posted by Grim View Post
    If so, Why?
    If you got offered a full auto R5, would you take it? Would you be worried about being caught with it?
    Taking it / Worrying about it / Getting caught -- are three different things ...
    Perhaps the question that should rather be asked is WHY should you NOT have one ?
    ANC bigwigs ( and not such big ones ) all get bodyguards -- that do have these rifles ( I have chatted to them and seen the rifles )
    One wonders if THEY are vetted / licensed / passed firearms training etc etc .... ?

As a further thought -- arrive in the SANDF and get GIVEN one
    One wonders what difference there is in the way you dress -- in SANDF uniform and you can have one -- in civvies and you CANNOT have one !

User

Becoming picky about which laws we obey and which not becomes a ver slippery slope with others willing to go much further down the slope than the average, normally law abiding citizen.

We might not like certain laws, but we still obey them.
    There are ways to fight these, it is costly, takes time and people who support it, and is not guaranteed to work either.

It would really suck to lose all your firearms because of an unlicensed air rifle which should be licensed but slipped through because of administrative issues.

But all of this does no really matter to people who do not own firearms.

User

This is info I have on the topic.

OLD FCA = 'airgun' means any device manufactured to discharge a bullet or any other projectile of a caliber of less than 5.6mm (.22 caliber), by means of compressed gas and not by means of burning propellant;

NEW FCA = 'airgun' means any device manufactured to discharge a bullet or any other projectile-
    (a) of a calibre of less than 5.6 mm (. 22 calibre); OR
    (b) at a muzzle energy of less than 8 joules (6ft-lbs), by means of compressed gas and not by means of burning propellant; [Definition of 'airgun' substituted by s.
    5. Devices not firearms for purposes of this act
    (f) an airgun

And the the latest

https://sahfta.org.za/airgun-safety-...-south-africa/

Definition of an Airgun In Terms of the Law
    (Firearms Control Act 60 of 2000) (as amended up to 31/01/2015)

An airgun is any airgun with a calibre of below 5.6mm regardless of power/energy at the muzzle.
    An airgun is any airgun with a calibre of 5.6mm and above but is manufactured to be incapable of shooting at powers/energy of no more than 8 joules / 6 foot pounds at the muzzle.

Any airgun that exceeds both the 5.6mm calibre and muzzle energy of 8 joules / 6 foot pounds is classified as a firearm in South Africa and in terms of the FCA a firearms licence is required to own and operate such. Hereinafter referred to as a “LCA – Large Calibre Airgun” class airgun.

Now the question is which FCR, DFO or policeman know this or the difference between the airguns and will issue you a license or permit. I would advice you to go to your DFO and ask for a permit. If he says not needed let him put it in writing with the airgun serial no and details on the letter.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Zuku View Post
    .... Now the question is which FCR, DFO or policeman know this or the difference between the airguns and will issue you a license or permit. I would advice you to go to your DFO and ask for a permit. If he says not needed let him put it in writing with the airgun serial no and details on the letter.
    That has been tried before. No DFO has yet put it in writing that I know of. Which sucks!

User

Quote Originally Posted by janfred View Post
    That has been tried before. No DFO has yet put it in writing that I know of. Which sucks!
    And in addition no one has successfully licensed a large caliber airrifle (to my knowledge - I'd be very interested to hear if someone has?)

Some importers have attempted to import and sell them legally, and as far as I know they have got them imported, but cannot get them licensed.

User

Quote Originally Posted by janfred View Post
    The gap is not in the FCA, but in the people that are supposed to enforce the FCA. It also did not help that the calibre codes were not in the CFR system until about a year or two ago.
    Hear ye, hear ye! This man speaketh the truth!

User

Quote Originally Posted by SoldierMan View Post
    A hand pump, so you wouldn't need a gas bottle, just the pump and the gun?
    Unless you are into punishment get an air tank or you will spend more time pumping the rifle than shooting. By the time you shoot you are out of breath with a broken back.

If you are shooting from a fixed position you can shot directly off the dive tank meaning you can shoot indefinitely without having to refil.

Quote Originally Posted by gary-t View Post
    Unless you are into punishment get an air tank or you will spend more time pumping the rifle than shooting. By the time you shoot you are out of breath with a broken back.

If you are shooting from a fixed position you can shot directly off the dive tank meaning you can shoot indefinitely without having to refil.
    Think I will give them a miss then and stick to the ol' break-barrel. I have a break-barrel but want another (the prepper in me). Then I can spend that extra dough on my actual guns :)

User

Have you shot a PCP? If you have not shot one , try one before you decide, PCP's are in a whole different league. The Airwolf I had managed an under 1 MOA 5 shot group at 100m , I shot through both sides of an enamel cup at 140m, 3 consecutive hits. Zero recoil , in the right light conditions you can see the pellet arc in towards the target.
    If you are sure you want a springer see if you can find a TX200 , they are the closest you will get to a PCP.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast