Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Banned

Arrow Re: My 303 build - not complete

I LIKE
    What did you do to it ?
    Does not look like the normal hacked off "sporterised" .303
    I agree the parkerising

IF you needed a re-barrel you could re-make the old dear into a GERMAN ...

http://old.municion.org/8x60Rs/8x60Rs.htm

Some interesting history

https://lutzmoeller.net/8-mm/8x60S.php

Banned

Talking Re: My 303 build - not complete

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    If you note my child's shirt, yes um? ya - he wears shirts like a comfort or something - he wears them till there is nothing left to wear and then cries about them.
    He has a strange sense of loyalty " Mom, (tears running) you cant just throw it away, its been there for me for ever, now you want me to just throw it away like its rubbish. He actually takes old clothes out when he is feeling down and dress's in them and then sleeps off a hurt or loss.
    With all the holes looks like the British version of the "star spangled banner"
    What about some shirts with British navy ensigns ?
    Maybe he needs to use those old shirts for gun cleaning clothes / rags ?
    Could wrap them around the rifle when it gets put to bed ....

User

Default Re: My 303 build - not complete

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    If you note my child's shirt, yes um? ya - he wears shirts like a comfort or something - he wears them till there is nothing left to wear and then cries about them.
    He has a strange sense of loyalty " Mom, (tears running) you cant just throw it away, its been there for me for ever, now you want me to just throw it away like its rubbish. He actually takes old clothes out when he is feeling down and dress's in them and then sleeps off a hurt or loss.
    Lol I have shirts like that as well, I wear them till my wife steals them and throw them away.
    I even wear them in public, to the shops etc, I just don't give a flying F what people think about me, never did.

Anycase fun story to tell him about uncle Messor.
    One day I was fishing alone along the orange, fishing was good and sooner or later I lost interest in that and decided I will spend the night finishing a bottle of Richelieu. Next morning I got up, still wondering WTF I did last night, but started fishing. So the sun was starting to beat down on me and I saw a huge hole on the front of my shirt, and I decided hell I don't want to burn a hole on my chest so I put my shirt on backwards. Only to find out the exact same hole is on the back as well...............

Ja fishing with me might be dangerous.

Banned

Wink Re: My 303 build - not complete

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    And
    The hunting even more dangerous ...????

User

Lol I have shirts like that as well, I wear them till my wife steals them and throw them away.
    I even wear them in public, to the shops etc, I just don't give a flying F what people think about me, never did.

Anycase fun story to tell him about uncle Messor.
    One day I was fishing alone along the orange, fishing was good and sooner or later I lost interest in that and decided I will spend the night finishing a bottle of Richelieu. Next morning I got up, still wondering WTF I did last night, but started fishing. So the sun was starting to beat down on me and I saw a huge hole on the front of my shirt, and I decided hell I don't want to burn a hole on my chest so I put my shirt on backwards. Only to find out the exact same hole is on the back as well...............

Epic

No, memories are priceless.

And you don’t know what other people did with their rifles so that means nothing to you personally, you can only remember the stuff you did with a rifle, you don’t share in their memory, their emotions, actually you don’t share anything.

So messing about trying to make an old rifle shoot because it did belong to someone sometime makes about as much sense as eating a month old garage pie simply because it is old.
    I cannot fault the logic of your argument above. The reality of us humans are that we often operate more on emotions in our decision making, to the point of thinking about the logic and then discarding it.

When it comes to old stuff, I often fall in love with the idea of the history of the thing, even of it is not my own history. This definitely goes for guns too. I would love owning a well used Boer Mauser, just because of the idea of where it was and what it did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by wynand.dewinnaar View Post
    When it comes to old stuff, I often fall in love with the idea of the history of the thing, even of it is not my own history. This definitely goes for guns too. I would love owning a well used Boer Mauser, just because of the idea of where it was and what it did.
    Shot lots of blerry Engelse tommies ....

Actually after the main battles ( after 1900 ) most Boers still in the field used English rifles Lee Metfords and Lee Enfields

The statue of the Bittereinder at the War Museum in Bloemfontein is somewhat incorrect in that it shows a poor Bittereinder on his last legs ( and his horse ) but still carrying a Mauser

Some time ago at a relatives farm in the Karoo I discovered an old Le Metford in a corner quietly gathering dust and rust --part of the stock had been burned
    Somehow some .303 cartridges were found ( police used these in the old days )
    After some vigorous cleaning with a home made pull through I tied it in tree and fired with a lanyard from a distance

The old girl was still good to go

Maybe she had shot BOTH dumb rooineks as well as stoere Boere ...

User

Banned

Very nice
    Perhaps the Brits should recruit a special Hong Kong Battalion
    With these and the Gurkha's they could re-colonise the World again !

Banned

You're not the only one.
    My vrou takes it and tears it up to make sure that I won't wear it again!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast