User

Default EAW Scope Mounts.

I bought a .375 H&H recently that comes with EAW qd scope mounts. I would like to get a second set of rings for this mount, does anyone know if they are available in South Africa and at what price? I am guessing that it won't be cheap.

Default Re: EAW Scope Mounts.

Advert for them was always in back of Man Magnum.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Banned

Question Re: EAW Scope Mounts.

Quote Originally Posted by TStone View Post
    I bought a .375 H&H recently that comes with EAW qd scope mounts. I would like to get a second set of rings for this mount, does anyone know if they are available in South Africa and at what price? I am guessing that it won't be cheap.
    Nice one -- Mauser action
    Does the safety catch / lever not interfere with the scope ?
    ( Reason for high mounts )

User

I started going a similar road a couple of years back because I got my hands on a rail mount scope with rings but no bases and I wanted to know if I could get a replacement set of bases to fit a Brno ZKK600. When I spoke to the local agents, they were only interested in selling me a complete new set and were insistent that each set comes as matched unit from the factory and you can't use rings and bases from different sets interchangeably. I was sceptical and also wasn't prepared to spend something like R7k on a new set of mounts.

Several months later I was having coffee with a German gunsmith buddy in Windhoek and told him the story. He nearly choked on his coffee with indignation that someone could say that about a German product and long story short he scratched around in his spares box and gave me a set of bases to fit a ZKK600. Unfortunately the rear mount didn't match the rear ring on the scope at all - the dovetail was the other way round so I suspect one of them is either proprietary or a different make completely. However, the front mount that one rotates into place was a perfect fit so although I've never had the opportunity to test a "mismatched" set, I have reason to believe they will work.

I scoured the internet and eventually found this site where I could get a complete replacement set of rail mounts of a different make for something like R1000 from Europe. I have never followed it through so can't comment on the buying process but if you don't come right with proper EAW rings maybe you'll find something else here that suits your purpose. https://www.optics-trade.eu/int/

For what it's worth here is a link to the local agents website: https://toolfair.co.za

User

TStone, they are very expensive!
    Are you looking for 1'' rings or 30mm?
    Are you talking about the "Schwenk-Montage system", the one that swings off sideways?
    As Edwill says, there is an advert in the Magnum magazine that's been running for a while, they seem to sell locally. I got hold of some guy in England who sold me some years ago. Gave me a helluva good discount 'cos he said the one ring was slightly marked. When I got it from them I could see nothing wrong at all!
    Wish I could remember who they were, but I found the contact by e-mailing EAW and they suggested I get hold of him.
    I was fitting 2 sets of rings to the same rifle, one 30mm and the other 1".
    What I had to do was to grind down the front foot of each so they fitted properly.
    EAW sells such a device but hellish expensive. I used a machined washer and glued some 220 grit on the one side.
    The hole in the washer slips over the front foot attachment, and then you sand it down, lots of elbow grease but it comes out right in the end.
    You need to do this so the rear mount catch is not going all the way to the bottom otherwise it's not set properly, and so the front "fus" on each one has to be exactly the same. Does this make sense? Google EAW and you can get instructions.
    If you are planning on having 2 different scopes for the same rifle, I would recommend you do this.
    Good luck, it's complicated but doable and worth doing.
    Rod

User

Thanks for the advice. The rings that come with the rifle is 1", I would like to have a set of 30mm rings as well.

TStone - EAW are beautifully made pieces of kit - expensive, but beautiful. BBCT has already shared the contact details for Tool Fair.