Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Saiga folding stock safety

I was at a dealer recently and noticed some saigas cannot be taken off of safe with the stock folded. So I had a look at mine at another dealer and saw its the same.

I did not have a look inside to see how it works.

But has anyone seen how it works or how rigid it is? It did not feel very solid on the guns I checked. And can It be disabled?

Thanks!
    R

Default Re: Saiga folding stock safety

Hi Kwagga

yes, I’ve studied this a little bit. Not much online. Probably has to do with current Russian laws that do not permit the firing of the rifles while stock is folded or firing of a rifle at a given shorter length? Anyways the way it works is this, (very simple but I can send you some pictures if you pm me your number) - there is a pin that is connected to the safety/firing selector switch. This pin travels behind the rear trunnion into a cutout in the folding stock. When you actuate the selector switch you move this pin backward and forwards. You are unable to turn it off safe when the stock is folded, or fold the stock when in semi-auto firing mode because when the stock is folded it does not allow this pin to travel and when in firing mode the pin is lodged therefore blocking the stock from being folded. From trying to figure it out I’ve come to the conclusion that should one want to remove this, it’s quite possible, but I doubt that the whole pin may be removed as I think it is captured in the rear trunnion

Has anyone with success of deactivate folding safety yet?

User

next time i get back to the gunshop to play with my Saiga, i'll check it out, but i know mine does fire with stock (magpul) folded

User

Quote Originally Posted by bigtalon View Post
    Has anyone with success of deactivate folding safety yet?
    If the pin/plunjer is riveted in, it should not be too difficult to drill it out from the rear.

That being said, I see no need for firing a SLR with the stock folded. Any shooting you can do with the stock folded, can be done much better with the stock extended.

The primary purpose of the folding stock is to facilitate transport in confined spaces, such as a rucksack or similar.

User

Mine was annoying and sometimes interfered with the smooth opening and closing of the stock. A few minutes and some brute force with some pliers that the Russians would have been proud of I managed to bend and rip the offending bit of sheet metal out

I have a mk and stock locks up solid. I don't store the clean kit (or anything else) as it messes with the action.
    The gunsmith at Davesheer told me that it can be disabled.
    Note if you mount an optic using the side rail it become a mute point.

Solution to bypass the folding stock safety is to replace stock and hinge with a 1913 rail adapter and compatible folding stock.

https://www.jmac-customs.com/rsa-sf/

User

Quote Originally Posted by bigtalon View Post
    Solution to bypass the folding stock safety is to replace stock and hinge with a 1913 rail adapter and compatible folding stock.

https://www.jmac-customs.com/rsa-sf/
    So damn difficult to find the folding stock adapters here in SA.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User

My Saiga 12S never had the problem with disabling the safety with a folded stock, I think cause the extra barrel length kept it long enough for Russian regulations or something.
    Someone I knew bought a 12K and his refused to go off safe with a folded stock, the local gunsmith sorted it for him though.

I ended up cutting my shotgun down to 12k Length anyways and later suppressed it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast