Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Supporting Hand's Index Finger On Trigger Guard

So during lockdown I was playing around with different grips (Glock 19) and found that putting your supporting index finger on the front of the trigger guard could give you quite a bit of control over recoil. Will test it out when lockdown allows.

Anyone shoot like this or know anyone that does. Apparently some well known shooters in the US use this grip.

Not sure I'm too keen to switch but just interested to see how it shoots.

Quote Originally Posted by SoldierMan View Post
    So during lockdown I was playing around with different grips (Glock 19) and found that putting your supporting index finger on the front of the trigger guard could give you quite a bit of control over recoil. Will test it out when lockdown allows.Anyone shoot like this or know anyone that does. Apparently some well known shooters in the US use this grip.Not sure I'm too keen to switch but just interested to see how it shoots.
    Test it on a small target, against a timer.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

User

Default Re: Supporting Hand's Index Finger On Trigger Guard

I've also seen this. Always thought that it depends on your hand size relative to the FA size and grip angle. I've got small hands so unless it's a tiny handgun, I'm always going to go under the trigger guard

User

90% + of the shooters I've seen with their finger over front of trigger guard move their finger back in position between shots and that causes wasted time and accuracy. Those who do it without detriment, normally have very large hands combined with a smaller gun. The only advantage I can see is that the RO cannot see if your finger is on the trigger or not. LoL

User

I have huge hands...I mean I put the large back-strap on a CZ P09, and I always have my finger on the trigger guard. It's so natural I'd probably shoot worse if I were to try change it.

Jerry Miculeks daughter Lena shoots like that. So guessing it can't be all that bad.

User

One of the improvements done to the CZ75 is to put square and serated trigger gaurd exactly for that reason.

I don't use it as I tend to torque the pistol to the left .

User

Well it was a thing on the 80s... some (mostly European) guns continue to cater for it.

User

When we started IPSC in early and middle 80's the weak hand index finger was below the trigger guard like this picture

The in the late 80,s when we got some training van Springbok shooters and watch videos of Jerry Barnhart, Jethro Denisio and Jerry Miculek we noticed the index finger was under the slide over the trigger guard. This improved accuracy and benefit also longer shots. This was drilled into us. By watching top shooters you will notice what work and what does not. I must also say this was the golden age when the "Racegun" was King. I dont know what they teach the shooters today, but the standard gun shooters used the same grip.

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...el-920x649.jpg

https://www.czub.cz/image/2178/50

https://legallyarmed.co.za/wp-conten...uth-Africa.jpg

User

Quote Originally Posted by Twitch View Post
    Jerry Miculeks daughter Lena shoots like that. So guessing it can't be all that bad.
    She actually puts two fingers on the trigger guard. She has a video explaining her rationale.

When I started steel challenge I tried the index finger on the guard as well as without. Didn’t find it faster and even with practice I found it difficult to consistently get the grip right. Every now and then when practicing, I’ll still occasionally get the index finger on the guard and it doesn’t feel right anymore. In fact I did that 10 minutes ago :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast