Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    my heart at the sea and my soul in the mountains

Default The Huguenot~ and the Charlize Theron link

live out your imagination , not your history.

Default Re: The Huguenot

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topi...cycles-in-war/

"during the Second Anglo-Boer War of 1899 - 02, cyclists were used extensively both the Boers for scouting and by British and Empire forces as despatch riders and for patrolling exposed railway lines. There was even a documented incident, at Hammanskraal in the Transvaal, in which 11 new Zealand cyclists chased and arrested 10 Boer horsemen. the Boers had their successes as well. Commandant Danie Theron raised the bicycle mounted "Theron se Verkenningskorps, described by the British Commander-in-Chief, Field Marshal Lord Roberts as "the hardest thorn in the flesh of the British advance."

Default Re: The Huguenot

The first known use of the bicycle in combat occurred during the Jameson Raid, in which cyclists carried messages. In the Second Boer War military cyclists were used primarily as scouts and messengers. One unit patrolled railroad lines on specially constructed tandem bicycles that were fixed to the rails. Several raids were conducted by cycle-mounted infantry on both sides; the most famous unit was the Theron se Verkenningskorps (Theron Reconnaissance Corps) or TVK, a Boer unit led by the scout Daniel Theron, whom British commander Lord Roberts described as "the hardest thorn in the flesh of the British advance." Roberts placed a reward of £1,000 on Theron's head—dead or alive—and dispatched 4,000 soldiers to find and eliminate the TVK.[8]

Default Re: The Huguenot~ and the Charlize Theron link

Well done with another great one KK20.

I visited the hill where Danie Theron was killed by the British when I was young and later went to the Danie Theron Krygskool in Kimberley for my military training.

http://es.org.za/en/danie-theron-memorial/

Why is it that the Huguenot brain drain and subsequent economic collapse in France sound so familiar?

User

Thank you KK20, interesting. I also did a number of camps / courses at the Danie Theron Krygskool in Kimberley. The Danie Theron Memorial on the road to Potch was a regular stop when my kids were at school to teach them about our history.

Banned

Arrow Re: The Huguenot~ and the Charlize Theron link

NO offence to anyone and certainly not the OP

There is a book -- one many would like to burn -- that covers this period in time in a way you have not seen before
    It is iconoclastic

http://www.chrisash.co.za/krugers-war/

The content covers what may be thought of as the -- often quoted truths of the ABW
    After careful reading you may discover that the "truth" is somewhat less beguiling

Disclaimer:
    I do know the author and have signed copies of his books -- which I paid for

PS:
    My grandmother on my mothers side was a THERON

User

Quote Originally Posted by Brenneke View Post

There is a book -- one many would like to burn -- that covers this period in time in a way you have not seen before
    It is iconoclastic

The content covers what may be thought of as the -- often quoted truths of the ABW
    After careful reading you may discover that the "truth" is somewhat less beguiling

Disclaimer:

PS:
    I just read the intro and tried not to chuckle but this guy sounds like someone who lives in a fairy tale. I will keep a look out for his other books on how the Nazi genocide never happened too....

User

Quote Originally Posted by Brenneke View Post

It is iconoclastic

Disclaimer:

PS:

Gheez...where did this oke bought his smokes....?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast