Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 LastLast
    Banned

Question Re: Mauser Werke A.G. Oberndorf ES340B .22LR - shot out or dirty?

Quote Originally Posted by janfred View Post
    Attached is photos from 2 different stainless steel barrels at halfway down the bore. One has about 1,500 shots through it, but has never seen any brush. Cleaning has only been done with rags and chemicals. The other has around 6,600 rounds through it. Cleaned after every day's shooting using Ballistol and a bronze brush. Estimate around 3,000 passes both ways. These photo's alone tells me that these brushes do not deserve the scorn most "experts" level at them.
    What were these photo taken with ?
    A borescope -- which make / model ?

How many gunsmiths own a proper good borescope ? ( just looking for a ballpark estimate unless you have actual knowledge experience)

Banned

Default Re: Mauser Werke A.G. Oberndorf ES340B .22LR - shot out or dirty?

The .22 finally came back and I spent some time on it again. I tried some of the less conventional methods and some of AR's advice as well.
    11:20 the brush finally went through and there was no change in sound feeling or vibrations as it traveled the bore, the fine "grssgrshhh, vibration on the brush as it reached last 4 ' of barrel before chamber was gone, just a smooth "shrshrshrrrrr" as the bristles dragged along with out being strummed by the rough surface.

The rifle will be shot in again on Saturday, we will then see.
    Question, this rifle really seems to have a VERY shallow rifling, almost like just a hint of rifling for first 3/4 inch's, were some rifles made like this?

Banned

Wonder if this post is still being monitored?
    I posted :Question, this rifle really seems to have a VERY shallow rifling, almost like just a hint of rifling for first 3/4 inch's, were some rifles made like this?..................No answers?

The rifle finally got to a range on Sunday, and was shot, unfortunately the only available ammunition was cheap S&B HV.
    The first 5 shots were just at cacti etc The next ten were on paper and made a L group evenly spread over 3 x 1" blocks with two flyers - cheap ammo. Group 2 down - 1 across 8 holes.
    A bit more cacti and then 10 shots again on paper produced a 5 shot 1 hole, about 2 bullets wide and 5 shots spread in same L shape 3 x 1 " blocks of standard 1 inch block target.

What would this tell you folk ?

User

Thought u where working on giving us the answer?

What would happen if u put soldering iron tip on the smooth part if it would reach. Wouldnt the lead melt ? And not do damage to barrel? Just to see. I know nothing just asking..

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by NIBOR View Post
    Thought u where working on giving us the answer?

What would happen if u put soldering iron tip on the smooth part if it would reach. Wouldnt the lead melt ? And not do damage to barrel? Just to see. I know nothing just asking..

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
    I would think the barrel would have to heat to the point of melting the solder, besides it will be near impossible to do.
    The rifle is clean now, of that I am certain, the grouping seems to be improving if going by 30 odd shots is anything to go by.
    I have a theory in regard to the better group and the remaining old L group, - this barrel is now too clean.

User

Some level of fouling may be needed to get it to group again , this was very interesting to watch , please keep us updated.

User

Treeman,
    This was v interesting but you've left out all the important details I've been waiting for!
    You said "I tried some of the less conventional methods and some of AR's advice as well".
    So what were they and where was AR's advice that you tried?!!?
    I'm about to do the same clean up so need to know exactly what worked.
    Were you cleaning from the muzzle towards the breech-"as it reached the last 4 in before the chamber"?
    Thanks, Rod

Banned

Treeman,
    This was v interesting but you've left out all the important details I've been waiting for!
    You said "I tried some of the less conventional methods and some of AR's advice as well".

200 ml 50/50 distilled water and 13 % hydrogen Peroxide and a t-spoon citric acid in barrel for 12 minutes
    Leave barrel overnight un-oiled but cleaned with Windolene and then Benzine after Peroxide application.I then used Karcher Metal rims cleaner and a old brass brush for short periods and properly cleaned out after wards Windolene - Benzine . I leave the barrel un-oiled in the believe a bit of surface oxidation will occur to the lead.

So what were they and where was AR's advice that you tried?!!?
    AR suggested Hydrogen Peroxide, water and Acetic acid, think he was doing same experiments as I. I must say this combo works on lead, even visually you can see the job being done.
    The citric acid combo seems more suited to copper fouling.

I'm about to do the same clean up so need to know exactly what worked.
    I am on 0824141818
    Were you cleaning from the muzzle towards the breech-"as it reached the last 4 in before the chamber"?
    Thanks, Rod
    Yes rod inserted from chamber and pulled back from muzzle. Stock was removed and everything other than inside barrel bathed in diff oil. Everything bathed in petrol, then benzine afterwards. Liberal use of paraffin application for a few hours afterwards, then dry cloth clean up and oil every single thing with a thin oil I mix myself. EVERY EVERY pin, thread, join, seam. Then a normal gun oil maintenance oiling.
    I stress this because if some of these agents get into a thread or pin, retainer - tight fit space you end up with a chemical weld happening.

Much of what I do is likely not necessary and some may not even aid anything, but I am not so clever a guy so I rather wear a seat belt, helmet and a condom - just in case.

Banned

Question Re: Mauser Werke A.G. Oberndorf ES340B .22LR - shot out or dirty?

IF
    I am not mistaken Benzine is -- CARCINOGENIC ?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Brenneke View Post
    IF
    I am not mistaken Benzine is -- CARCINOGENIC ?
    That would be correct, I try not to sip to much of it.
    A bit of benzine in a bowl and wet a cloth in bowl, cloth is in cleaning rod eye.
    Perhaps you can smell it, wear gloves if you wish or just try practice the same work safety you do with petrol, pool acid - hot oil.

Keep in mind, carb cleaner, rim cleaner quick start to name but a few are all Benzine based.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 LastLast