Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Rudolph VS Vortex

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    They both really nice scopes, what is your planned use of rifle, a 24 x scope on a .270 Win for hunting is a lot of scope if you walk and stalk. Then setting and checking parralex before each shot is also a dogs life mission.
    I have a 3 to 9 on my .270 and it works a charm.
    I have a 24 x scope on my 308 Mag and it does what it should, but I would hate that scope on my .270

This, I have a vortex 4-16 on my .270 and I very seldom take it past 10

User

I have vortex diamondbacks on my rifles on the 4-12 x 40 range. They are quite comfortable out to 200m... For normal hunting I do not think one needs any bigger. But then again I will not easily take a shot over 200m...

The prices has risen aggressively in the last few weeks. Up all round by at least 30%...

It might suite you to shop around for shops that has not moved their pricing up on these scopes...
    Last edited by New; 19-06-2020 at 10:39. Reason: price!

User

Vortex - I have the crossfire2 in 4-12x44 on my bushveld rifle.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Werner1234 View Post
    Hi all

I am looking at the following scope for my .270, any advise?

Rudolph V1 5-25x50 T3 Illuminated Reticle OR Vortex Crossfire II 6-24x50 AO Dead-Hold BDC Reticle

I have a brand new vortex Diamondback in 4-12x 40 for sale if you're interested

User

I often see people struggling in the field with a scope because they have chosen to much magnification. 24x is more than enough for 2km shots. For normal hunting in both bushveld and plains a common old 3-9x scope is much more useful.

Good Day Werner1234

I am new to the forum and as such have got A LOT of studying to do, what I can tell you is I know someone who can help you if you would like? He will give you advice long before even offering a specific product. email schalk@futurama.co.za

He should be able to assist and hopefully we can source a good price for you :)

All the best!

Richard - Futurama

Vortex seems to be the way to go. Regarding magnification, I have fixed 4x old tasco on my .243 and have no problem hitting gongs out to 200m to 235m with it.

The more magnification you go. The more you notice the movements you make. Shaking. So you will start concentrating more to steady the rifle which in some cases will just cause more corrective movement. Also in hunting. If magnification is high. You see the buck in field. You look through scope to aim and cant find him as your Field of view is now smaller. Even when I had a 6-24 for years on my 308. I never went above 10 in field. I in fact had on 6. If I had time I might zoom in to 10 before shot. Otherwise when quiet I would just use higher zoom to scan a bit. But that us again strain on eyes. Hence the reason you get Bino's.

I agree that too much magnification is a bad thing. For hunting purposes, I use the rule of 1x magnification for every 25m, for example 4x at 100m is enough. That why I use a Vortex Viper HS 2.5-10x44 on my 308. Shooting at 300m using 10x, off a bench is no issue for me.

At the start of a Bushveld hunt, its set at around 3x. You could always crank it up a little if needed for longer shots, but taking a fairly quick shot at close range with high magnification could be the start of a long day of stalking.

I know this was not the OP question, but I would rather spend my money on a better scope with lower magnification that paying for magnification at the expense of the quality of the glass.

User

I own the vortex crossfire6-24x50 it's a really reliable scope with a good glass havnt had any problems with it.
    I've hunted up to 200m with it and haven't used the magnification as yet so yes its a great scope but the magnification is a bit of overkill for Bush hunting

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast