Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Pistol Reddot Journey

Good day,

I wanted to make a post seeing as my previous one disappeared.

This post would be to explain to people new to red dots my experience and maybe convert someone.

Firstly, the costs and setup. I had the slide milled and bought the Holosun 508 from MRST in Pretoria. I want to emphasize the customer satisfaction I experienced with them. They are extremely professional and generally just fun gun guys to shoot the shit with.

Secondly due to a misquote they upgraded me from the 507c to the 508 without any extra cost. This was not necessary from their side and speaks volumes about their ethics.

So all and all the milling and sight cost me R8700. This is a huge capital investment seeing as I paid R9000 for the Glock 19 gen 4.

Shooting.

The sight was bore sighted at 8m and I decided to shoot at that distance on the first day out without screwing around with sighting.

The first hands on experience with the sight confirmed my homework. The sight is not forgiving with sloppy presentation. Your presentation needs to be perfect. This will only be drilled in with dry firing.

Secondly moving from front sight focus to target focus was surprisingly easy for me. I can attribute this to being a relatively new shooter.

Once looking through the sight it highlights how much the sight moves if you aim. Again my homework prepared me for this and I could compensate for it.

Shooting R5 holes about 80% of the time at 8m is something to behold. So much so that I needed to check if I'm not shooting totally wide. It is awesome to hold that amount of accuracy in your hands.

This is a massive shift in how a pistol is handled but an extremely satisfying experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by FrankH; 22-06-2020 at 18:29.

User

Default Re: Pistol Reddot Journey

Cool post. Please elaborate a bit more on this bit:

"The sight is not forgiving with sloppy presentation. Your presentation needs to be perfect."

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    Cool post. Please elaborate a bit more on this bit:

"The sight is not forgiving with sloppy presentation. Your presentation needs to be perfect."
    The movement from the holster to where you have target alignment is one fluid motion. I don't have a problem with that.

So where the dot is unforgiving is in sight alignment. On irons I was faster and it felt that the margin for error was larger. You could fudge it a bit. This is obviously not ideal and reinforces sloppy technique.

I have dry fired now for a few days and it seems to be getting better.

User

Do you plan on keeping the low profile iron’s?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    Do you plan on keeping the low profile iron’s?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    One of the trends (and shooting gospel) is to add suppressor height sights so you can cowitness if the dot fails.

I decided that the chance of being in a defensive shooting and the chance on top of that having your sight fail is extremely unlikely to happen. Change the batteries every few months and bobs your uncle.

This may seem like sin to some people and I completely understand the argument for suppressor height sights.

So yes I will keep the irons because if you take them off the gun looks "naked".

User

Does the milling allow for the glock plates or other optic options in the future, or is it dedicated to Holosun only?

Quote Originally Posted by Cotic29 View Post
    Does the milling allow for the glock plates or other optic options in the future, or is it dedicated to Holosun only?

This was one of the major considerations for me as I did not want to be stuck with a optic/optic brand forever.

Unfortunately this being a Non-MOS G19, the milling is just for a specific brand of optic.

That being said it was not all doom and gloom. The Holosun shares the same footprint with the much more expensive Trijicon RMR. This means that there is upgrade potential in the future. But I would not be able to move to a Leupold or a Shield.

User

Interesting... so total cost of milling + optic? Im considering it aswell but first want to test the cheaper dovetail mount route.

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by Cotic29 View Post
    Check with MRST, they had plates they designed that could work like gen5 MOS plates.....

User

I can also see many manufacturers bringing out pistols optics ready

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast