Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Immigration and addiction to firearms.

I have a friend who is considering immigrating.

We were talking about it the other day and the topic "Will I be allowed to have a gun?" came up.

Obviously there are some countries that are more gun friendly then others but can anyone give their input?

I suppose it would be dependant on your immigration status in the new country (visa etc)?

I know in SA as a Pemanent Resident you are seen just like a citizen in terms of the FCA.

Sent from my IN2020 using Tapatalk

Default Re: Immigration and addiction to firearms.

Immigrating to SA or emigrating from SA?
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

Quote Originally Posted by SSP View Post
    Immigrating to SA or emigrating from SA?
    He is planning to leave SA and move to another country.

Banned

NZ seems quite easy to get firearms with a working permit.
    Oz seem stricter and maybe permanent residence would be needed.
    America and Canada I have no idea how strict the laws are for a new foreign member to get a FA.

Banned

Question Re: Immigration and addiction to firearms.

Quote Originally Posted by brukutu View Post
    I know in SA as a Pemanent Resident you are seen just like a citizen in terms of the FCA.
    Apologies for the slight hi-jack ..

As a permanent resident you are not allowed to vote.

I also wonder as a foreigner ( although a permanent resident ) if you can be compelled to give a full set of fingerprints -- for competency / SAPS / CFR ?

Quote Originally Posted by Brenneke View Post
    Apologies for the slight hi-jack ..

As a permanent resident you are not allowed to vote.

I also wonder as a foreigner ( although a permanent resident ) if you can be compelled to give a full set of fingerprints -- for competency / SAPS / CFR ?
    I am in SA as a Pemanent Resident.

I can confirm Same process as normal SA citizen with firearms.

I am not sure if you will be able to get a firearm (apart from a sect 21 for some very specific reason) if you are here just on working visa....

Canada you can get a possession/acquisition license once in country via the standard training/evaluation course. Even some Americans have them to make bringing guns over the border easier. I got mine originally while on a study visa many years ago, they just wanted an SA record check certificate at the time. Now I am certified to conduct the training. The license is renewed every 5 years but the training/test is only once off. There are 2 courses - first the non-restricted safety course, then the restricted safety course if you want to own handguns and restricted long guns.

Firearms ownership is quite simple, especially for non-restricted firearms (most long guns). Restricted guns have some more legal requirements and can be only be shot on approved shooting ranges, this includes all handguns not classified as prohibited (prohibited means handguns with barrels under 106mm, .25 and nearly all .32 cal handguns, and a few others). Guns are not licensed, the person is. Non-restricted guns are not registered, restricted guns are registered on a federal database to the owner, and registration certificate is transferred to each new owner.

We just had over 1500 kinds guns prohibited, including all AR's, Mini 14/30, Robson XCR's, and others, so no more owning AR's and some other mag fed semi-autos here as of May 1st this year. Guns are classified as antiques, non-restricted (most long guns), restricted (handguns that aren't prohibited, and some long guns), and prohibited class for which very few people have licenses. You can't own a firearm here for the purposes of self-protection unless carried in a 'wilderness setting' for dangerous animals. No carrying of handguns unless authorized via dedicated permit and that's usually only allowed for professional/job requirements in wilderness areas where dangerous animals are prevalent. You need to prove the genuine need for this. I know a few biologists, geologists, trappers and guides who have permits to carry handguns, only while working in the bush and often only within a defined area or region.

Quote Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
    Canada you can get a possession/acquisition license once in country via the standard training/evaluation course. Even some Americans have them to make bringing guns over the border easier. I got mine originally while on a study visa many years ago, they just wanted an SA record check certificate at the time. Now I am certified to conduct the training. The license is renewed every 5 years but the training/test is only once off. There are 2 courses - first the non-restricted safety course, then the restricted safety course if you want to own handguns and restricted long guns.

Firearms ownership is quite simple, especially for non-restricted firearms (most long guns). Restricted guns have some more legal requirements and can be only be shot on approved shooting ranges, this includes all handguns not classified as prohibited (prohibited means handguns with barrels under 106mm, .25 and nearly all .32 cal handguns, and a few others). Guns are not licensed, the person is. Non-restricted guns are not registered, restricted guns are registered on a federal database to the owner, and registration certificate is transferred to each new owner.

We just had over 1500 kinds guns prohibited, including all AR's, Mini 14/30, Robson XCR's, and others, so no more owning AR's and some other mag fed semi-autos here as of May 1st this year. Guns are classified as antiques, non-restricted (most long guns), restricted (handguns that aren't prohibited, and some long guns), and prohibited class for which very few people have licenses. You can't own a firearm here for the purposes of self-protection unless carried in a 'wilderness setting' for dangerous animals. No carrying of handguns unless authorized via dedicated permit and that's usually only allowed for professional/job requirements in wilderness areas where dangerous animals are prevalent. You need to prove the genuine need for this. I know a few biologists, geologists, trappers and guides who have permits to carry handguns, only while working in the bush and often only within a defined area or region.
    Well that sucks. If the Democrats had their way they would do the same in US.

User

Quote Originally Posted by kayaker View Post

I believe there are a couple of court cases to try and reverse this. That punk PM used a legal, but dubious way to ban the firearms. Also, it seems the list is growing every week, but isn't published and it is difficult for firearm owners to know whether the risks they have, which was legal today, is banned tomorrow. Even some non-gun owners civil organisations are getting in on the side of gun owners, as they see this as an abuse of power. I hope they are successful in reversing this madness. But I guess the PM and his cohorts know to never let a crisis (covid) go to waste.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Question. Is it possible to move to for example Canada. Do all the requirements. And then have you current firearms shipped over?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast