Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

Default Re: Biltong/Droewors Long Term Storage

You can hang and dry biltong in very little space, think the area of a Metrofile box. Especially if you do it in batches
    Don’t take life too seriously, no one gets out alive.

User

Quote Originally Posted by SoldierMan View Post
    So you guys make your own biltong? Isn't that quite a bit of work and need quite a bit of space?
    I thought of just having someone else do it for me, Ryan Boon Meats in Stellenbosch, as he doesn't put in any nitrates or nitrites just natural spices, etc.
    With our wet winters getting it properly dry is the biggest issue. Otherwise it's relatively straightforward

User

Quote Originally Posted by SoldierMan View Post
    So you guys make your own biltong? Isn't that quite a bit of work and need quite a bit of space?
    I thought of just having someone else do it for me, Ryan Boon Meats in Stellenbosch, as he doesn't put in any nitrates or nitrites just natural spices, etc.
    My dryer. Cost about R500 to build 5 years ago. Bathroom extractor fan, two light fittings and some wood/hardboard. Currently drying 2kg wors and 3kg biltong sticks, last of 2019's venison. Normally only use half of it, but haven't gotten around to make it smaller.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by Bonedoc View Post
    My dryer. Cost about R500 to build 5 years ago. Bathroom extractor fan, two light fittings and some wood/hardboard. Currently drying 2kg wors and 3kg biltong sticks, last of 2019's venison. Normally only use half of it, but haven't gotten around to make it smaller.

I've got a similar setup. Major difference is that I use a computer cooling fan.

Main thing you need is air to move past the meat, hence the fan. Here in the Western Cape with wet winters it's best to dry the air a bit before it flows past the meat, hence the lightbulbs - they are there to generate heat, not light. You want the older incandescent type that produce a lot more heat than the newer CFLs or LEDs.

User

Built my dryer using a PC fan and a large plastic box from plasticland (easier to keep clean than a wooden box). This box is identical to mine, just one a made for a mate.

Bathroom fan works better as the airflow is higher. Didn’t think of a second light fitting, that could be useful to speed up the process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

I found a perspex container and fitted a fan in the lid. Works like a charm and you can monitor the amount of biltong that goes mysteriously missing. I cut my biltong meat into strips and vacuum seal it in 2-3kg batches. Then defost, spice and hang batches when needed. This way i have biltong all year round.

User

It will not store. It will not keep.

Period

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2