Default Warne 220LM 34mm rings question

When I started with target rifles, I came up with a way to align the reticle to be perpendicular to the bore. It's an optical method, and I've explained it here .

So far, I've done half a dozen rifles this way, and the results have been spot on.

Last night I used the 220LM rings. The only difference between these rings and the rings I've used before, is that these are split vertically, not horizontally.

I get the optical alignment right, shoulder the rifle, and it's obviously canted - looked like 10 degrees. I disassembled the rings completely, repeat, same result. I swapped the rings around, back to the front, front to the back, align, and the cant was the same just in the opposite direction.

That's when I realised it's something to do with the rings.

I changed to a pair of Mountain Tech, did the alignment, and it looks perfect.

What baffles my old brain is how did the rings alone cause the scope to appear optically aligned by measurement, yet physically mis-aligned so much ?

Is there maybe some secret way to fit these 220LM vertical split rings ?

User

Default Re: Warne 220LM 34mm rings question

Nice write up you did there. I never hear of that method before, but will try it.

I recently mounted a new scope in a set of Warne 201 rings on a pic rail, also vertically split. I normally use the bolt shroud as a visual reference, when "extending" the vertical cross hair down, it should dissect the bolt shroud. It's certainly not very precise, but it's the method i have used a couple of times.

What baffled me with the 201 rings, was that the vertical cross hair of the scope seems to be offset from the bolt shroud and turning the scope to align the two results in a canted scope.

I also switched the rings around but that didn't seem to make a difference.

It seemed to my eye that these rings offset the entire scope body either left or right, which caused what I observed.

It means that the two halves are not uniform. I suspect that each half has a slightly different radius, which offsets the scope body to the side where the radius is bigger.

It would be interesting to hear from others who have tried the vertical split rings, and how they got them straight.

The rings are most likely not the issue.

When I changed rings the first time, I didn't use the same scope, I [stupidly] assumed the scope can't be the problem.

If I mount the the problem scope in other rings, it's still not right.

If I use a different scope in either set of rings, there is no problem, the alignment is true.

With the problematic scope, It seems like the reticle is rotated a few degrees off in the scope body.

If I bring the vertical axis as straight as I can according to look and feel, the scope seems slightly canted to one side in the mounts.

Will take it in tomorrow to be looked at.

User

The age-old trap of experimental work of changing more than one variable at a time...

Glad you got it ID'd, and hope you have restored faith in the vertically split rings ;-)

Scope taken in to supplier. They checked it, confirmed that the reticle was rotated in the scope body, and corrected it.

Mounted it up, and it checks ok now.