Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Default Vektor CR-21 assault rifle

Has anyone got any more info on this rifle?

I came across it at http://world.guns.ru/assault/as26-e.htm , for the first time.

It is intended to replace the R4 and R5, but seems to have kept a rather low proflie... confused0083

Default Re: Vektor CR-21 assault rifle

I shot a couple of them in JHB some years back. They were only 'OK' IMO but then they were prototypes. Word was that this was actually a conversion for existing R4's in the SANDF and that they decided to vote in a pay raise rather than get the conversions. Don't know if that is true or not but the source was very reliable and inside Vektor. The optic they had was terrible, as were the ergos, but I think it had some potential. I will readily admit, however, that I am not a fan of bullpup designs.
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

User

This seems to be a failed project. Apparently the optic gave a 60% greater first-round hit probability over a stock R4, although that wasnt compared to other optics. If its as bad as suggested no doubt the EOtech / Acog would be an improvement. What was the specific problem with it?

Optic sucked. Fuzzy and difficult to use plus it had little 'free movement' for the head / eyes. Either the Aimpoint (my choice) or Eotech would be head and shoulders better I think. Frankly my preference would be for a lighter, more ergonomic R with rails that could mount an optic or laser pointer and an adjustable stock. Still, I have no idea how much use or abuse these two guns had seen before me, and a couple of magazines each is certainly not a 'test' of any sort. (they were both reliable) I know the guys at Vektor..at least back in the day...could have gotten this package working right eventually, but it just felt, well, 'cheap'. I don't know if the average recruit these days could take proper care of the optic but rails and backup sights would allow the optic to be issued to more specialized units.

Surely the R's still in service must be ratty and about ready for replacement, so something will have to replace them soon at least.
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

User

Hmmm, I wonder how the public would react to the announcement of another arms purchase following the last fiasco. And yes there's no doubt supply but is there a threat-based demand for an upgraded assault rifle for SA forces? Perhaps a smaller buy for SF / peacekeeping units?

I suppose that at the moment there is no 'threat based' demand...yet...but if you wait to prepare until there is a threat you have waited too long. There is a 'learning curve' associated with adoption of any new system and new rifles would be no exception, not to mention identification of any problems and getting these issues squared away. The middle of conflict is the last place and time you need to be dealing with that. IMO they should already be testing new rifles today and could then issue some to the units you mentioned to let them see if there were any un-thought-about issues or problems. (there almost always are)

Procuring new rifles, magazines, spares, etc. as well as training and ammo would almost certainly still cost less than a single fighter jet, and be much more useful for the type of service currently being done by the SANDF as far as I can tell.

Of course, like Warren Buffet says, the windscreen is never as clear as the back glass.
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

User

I suspect that the R will be around for some time yet. Quite simply it works in SA conditions and with local ammo. Assault rifles in general have kinda plateaued in terms of leaps and bounds forward, perhaps some kind of optic-oriented upgrade of the R platform (big Dashprod?) might be the next step. Something lighter would be a move in the right direction though, and there are plenty of available options.

User

Ah ha, so it seemed like it was a case of "if it ain't broken, don't fix it".

Could anyone tell me what advantages the bullpup design has over a conventional carbine rifle? The only one I can think of is maneuverability in close quarters and for use in cars... yet at the expense of shooter comfort.

User

Main advantage: long barrel in a standard size weapon or standard length barrel in a short weapon. That becomes especially relevant with 5.56 ammo. It doesnt necessarily compromise shooter comfort.

Quote Originally Posted by Analyst
    It doesnt necessarily compromise shooter comfort.
    Really. Ever tried shooting a bullpup off your left shoulder? I dont find hot empty cases ejecting into my ear particularly comfortable.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast