Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    User

Default Black Rhino in the Karoo ?

Quote Originally Posted by TStone View Post
    Hippo did occur in that area. There is even a river called the Seekoei river, it is a tributary of the Orange river.
    Slight hijack.

Is there any research or references to what the karoo, klein karoo looked like say 100 / 150 years ago? It seems the areas had a lot more water and animal life than what is currently the case.

Banned

Arrow Re: Black Rhino in the Karoo ?

Quote Originally Posted by Grobbie View Post
    Slight hijack.
    Is there any research or references to what the karoo, klein karoo looked like say 100 / 150 years ago? It seems the areas had a lot more water and animal life than what is currently the case.
    There are the reports ( books ) of a number of early explorers / naturalists / hunters & traders
    Starting from the days of the VOC
    Many / most of these were foreigners
    Too many to mention here -- a listing as well as some of the history of these early travellers have been covered in more recent books
    It is quite an involved and extensive study on it's own

The early farmers ( trekboers) were mostly unlearned people and left few if any reports

I do not know of any academic studies that have been done on this topic specifically -- the very early history of exploration into the interior of Southern Africa

But yes the area was better watered and was full of game -- all the big five

Unfortunately the Cape Lion / the Quagga / the Bloubok all shot to extinction

Banned

Lightbulb Re: Black Rhino in the Karoo ?

Slight hijack.
    You could start here

https://www.robertjacobgordon.nl/

User

Default Re: Black Rhino in the Karoo ?

Quote Originally Posted by Brenneke View Post
    Thanks

User

Slight hijack.

Maybe give this book a try...

http://www.rhinoresourcecenter.com/i...&id=1190402681

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by TStone View Post
    Hippo did occur in that area. There is even a river called the Seekoei river, it is a tributary of the Orange river.
    Thanks for that

User

It doesn't matter where you introduce them, with them comes 2 legged f@ckers with rifles that wants to kill your investment and have no problems killing you also.

If I had a piece of land with suitable habitat I still just wouldn't.

Banned

Arrow Re: Black Rhino in the Karoo ?

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    It doesn't matter where you introduce them, with them comes 2 legged f@ckers with rifles that wants to kill your investment and have no problems killing you also.
    If I had a piece of land with suitable habitat I still just wouldn't.
    Indeed
    But there still needs to be people that can provide somewhere where they can be returned to their natural historical range -- and -- increase and diversify the gene pool
    The deep Karoo is not hospitable to 2 legged f@ckers -- who have to come from afar !

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2