Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Gun-smithing price...fair or did I get ripped?

Just days before the lock-down, I bought a new hand-guard and low profile gas block from Spartan Arms for my Stag Arms AR15, but they could not fit it before the 27th March, and I wanted my AR with me for zombies of course. Last week I got around to dropping the rifle and parts at a known workshop here in Centurion (name withheld for 'reasons'), and asked them to fit the parts.

I'm happy with the work, but the labour price was an eye-watering R1000 on the nose. Now, this is my first AR, hence asking here. Is this normal for gun-smithing prices on semi-autos?

User

Default Re: Gun-smithing price...fair or did I get ripped?

Quote Originally Posted by pblaauw View Post
    Just days before the lock-down, I bought a new hand-guard and low profile gas block from Spartan Arms for my Stag Arms AR15, but they could not fit it before the 27th March, and I wanted my AR with me for zombies of course. Last week I got around to dropping the rifle and parts at a known workshop here in Centurion (name withheld for 'reasons'), and asked them to fit the parts.

I'm happy with the work, but the labour price was an eye-watering R1000 on the nose. Now, this is my first AR, hence asking here. Is this normal for gun-smithing prices on semi-autos?
    Seems fair for labour etc

That being said I paid R300 to have a side rail drilled and set into my ak

User

You don't like to listen hey...

User

Quote Originally Posted by Stevin View Post
    You don't like to listen hey...
    You had how many excuses?

User

You had how many excuses?
    I had 1, I didn't have a wrench, but I told you someone who did and would be more than willing to help, or I could help with his tool...

I just said "help with his tool"...

User

Quote Originally Posted by Stevin View Post
    I had 1, I didn't have a wrench, but I told you someone who did and would be more than willing to help, or I could help with his tool...

I just said "help with his tool"...
    Everyone with a tool I was referred to had an excuse...much like the asshole glued to their balls behind their tools

For swapping out parts, it should take someone who knows what they doing 30 minutes, so you can expect to be billed for one hour's labor.

R1000 per hour is not excessive, but that is a skilled labor cost - machining, milling, etc.

The biggest mistake anyone makes when giving jobs to gunsmiths, is not getting a quote up front, before handing over the rifle.

Just handing it over and telling them what you want leaves lots of room for them to think about what to charge you based on the car you came in.

User

What is their labour rate? Although this does sound slightly steep, I would not have been surprised if I were quoted something similar from my regular gunsmith. I'm sure though, that a job like that would not take longer than an hour, even in experienced hands.

User

Think I was charged about R800 bucks or so when I had mine changed, so not too far off.

Remove before PewPew. Great. PewPew is the term airsofters use as its actually the sound the BB's make passing you.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast