Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Banned

Arrow Re: Helicopter Game Census.

Quote Originally Posted by Roguemeister View Post
    In Zim we were trialing drones for game counts and anti poaching patrols, the battery life vs recharge time vs cost actually didn't work out to be very efficient as it would take way too long to survey large areas to make any count data reliable. So it works for small reserves, but the smaller you go the less need there is for aerial counts.
    THUS
    My idea to combine the best of what the drone has to offer with the longer range and flight time of an efficient economical light aircraft

User

Default Re: Helicopter Game Census.

I've heard of drones operating in large areas with "charging stations" along the way. Drone flies a set path, and once battery starts going down it makes it's way to a station, docks, and charges. Next one takes off, and so on. Makes the whole thing a lot easier to manage.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Brenneke View Post
    THUS
    My idea to combine the best of what the drone has to offer with the longer range and flight time of an efficient economical light aircraft
    OK right, I missed the part about putting it on a light aircraft. That would make sense. I also know of places using bantams/bathawks/savannahs for game counts, although that's mostly just large game...

But yes, a good idea that maybe someone with some extra cash lying around could pilot

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

Banned

Lightbulb Re: Helicopter Game Census.

Someone has just done it

This was flighted 17 hours ago
    Seems I have an ideas twin ...

Really kewl guy I actually follow him but this video was so recent I missed it

Perfecting this and getting it working properly is going to completely BLOW AWAY the helicopter and other guys .. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

User

Someone has just done it

Perfecting this and getting it working properly is going to completely BLOW AWAY the helicopter and other guys .. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    It still can't do a lot of the things we really need to be able to do during a census.

You do not have 3 - 4 pairs of human eyes scanning in different directions. Human eyes trained to find hiding animals.

You do not have the ability to hover over thick brush to flush animals below you and to see stationary animals directly below you.

You do not have the ability to actually maneuver a herd of springbok into a position you want them for a photo of the whole herd. Or to be able to cut a large herd in two, count a group then drive it back into the counted area before doing the same with the other group.

I really do not think that you will be able to fly a fixed wing into some of the ravines and holes we need to get into.

I do use a drone and we do occasionally use a Foxbat fixed wing for certain tasks, neither can replace a helicopter with a good pilot and crew when it comes to counting game in difficult terrain.

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

I have nothing of value to add to this thread other than to say it must have been fun
    Don’t take life too seriously, no one gets out alive.

User

Quote Originally Posted by CorditeCrazy View Post
    I have nothing of value to add to this thread other than to say it must have been fun
    It was.

Banned

Arrow Re: Helicopter Game Census.

Quote Originally Posted by TStone View Post
    It still can't do a lot of the things we really need to be able to do during a census.

You do not have 3 - 4 pairs of human eyes scanning in different directions. Human eyes trained to find hiding animals.

You do not have the ability to hover over thick brush to flush animals below you and to see stationary animals directly below you.

You do not have the ability to actually maneuver a herd of springbok into a position you want them for a photo of the whole herd. Or to be able to cut a large herd in two, count a group then drive it back into the counted area before doing the same with the other group.

I really do not think that you will be able to fly a fixed wing into some of the ravines and holes we need to get into.

I do use a drone and we do occasionally use a Foxbat fixed wing for certain tasks, neither can replace a helicopter with a good pilot and crew when it comes to counting game in difficult terrain.
    One would have to see the technology developed and then do a shootout
    Your R44 does not have a camera / video setup ?

Such a system can be used for a lot of other things -- game fence inspection / poacher patrol / veld inspection / game inspection etc etc
    The big drawcard is price!

Ezemvelo KZN use a Cessna 182R Skylane fixed wing if I am not mistaken - ZS-KZN
    They do counts in the Drakensberg
    I know the pilot
    As well as the person that runs the drone section

Banned

Thumbs up Re: Helicopter Game Census.

Banned

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2