Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Slug Molds. Lee7/8 vs Lyman

Question.

Anyone loading Slugs perhaps.

As Im pondering between getting the Lee 7/8 drive key or the Lyman Sabot Mold.

Will only be shot through a smooth bore pump.

So wanted to get shooter experience between shooters have used these two.

Thanks

User

Default Re: Slug Molds. Lee7/8 vs Lyman

I load 3 different slugs. Lee 1oz, Lyman 1.2oz and SvarogHunt Sveroboy 36gram.

The Lee is the same general design as the 7/8 but is less nose heavy. Of the three it is the least accurate by a wide margin. According to various channels on YouTube the 7/8 is better but still not great.

My Lyman is a near full bore Foster type design unlike the airgun pellet shaped Diablo style sabot you referred to. It's the second most accurate but is still pretty inconsistent

My most accurate load by far is the Sveroboy. It will shoot clover leafs at 30m and can land hits on torso sized targets at 100m easily.

Svarog make an equivalent of the Lyman Diablo that is on special at the moment. For approx R900 before shipping you get the mold with 4 cavity pins allowing for weights from 28-32 grams. If you are after a sabot Diablo type slug I'd go with that. By all accounts they are accurate.

Given my experience of the Sveroboy I'd consider it rather. It comes with two pins for casting a solid hollow point or a pre-segmented fragmenting slug from the same mold. It's accurate and devastating.

Svarog are on eBay or you can buy direct from their site. Cheaper direct.

svarogunt.ru

User

Enjoy, they are great fun.

Many Thanks

I have seen their slugs on Ebay and shown by Fortune Cookie and Bubba I think reviewer. All good reviews on the Russian Molds.

Since I wont shoot them in my O/U and only applied for the pump action end May.

I think I should order as you suggested. As I have plenty time still to wait for License.

Thanks Again.

User

I have cast and shot the older Lyman Foster type slug and both Lee designs (7/8 and 1oz). No experience with the Lyman sabot type, but it looks like a good design to my eyes. Of the 2 Lee's, the 7/8oz version gives better accuracy from my guns.

The Lee moulds work well once smoked and broken in. What irks me is that the "plug" seems to loosen it's rivet after 1000 casts or so. I just drilled and tapped my plug and hold it in place with a cap screw.

my heart at the sea and my soul in the mountains

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    I have cast and shot the older Lyman Foster type slug and both Lee designs (7/8 and 1oz). No experience with the Lyman sabot type, but it looks like a good design to my eyes. Of the 2 Lee's, the 7/8oz version gives better accuracy from my guns.

The Lee moulds work well once smoked and broken in. What irks me is that the "plug" seems to loosen it's rivet after 1000 casts or so. I just drilled and tapped my plug and hold it in place with a cap screw.
    my mould is going strong after many. Are you rough with your toys))
    live out your imagination , not your history.

User

Quote Originally Posted by KK20 View Post
    my mould is going strong after many. Are you rough with your toys))
    Maybe my alloy is not pure lead, so the slug sits tighter on the plug and needs harder taps to get it off.

Slug moulds hate anything exept pure lead (BHN 5).

my heart at the sea and my soul in the mountains

Maybe my alloy is not pure lead, so the slug sits tighter on the plug and needs harder taps to get it off.

Slug moulds hate anything exept pure lead (BHN 5).
    In something called an instruction sheet they mention something about pure lead ( ja well maybe that was for the Americans)
    live out your imagination , not your history.

User

Did you shoot any of those through chokes?

User

Link was supposed tobe svaroghunt.ru

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast