Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Slug Molds. Lee7/8 vs Lyman

Question.

Anyone loading Slugs perhaps.

As Im pondering between getting the Lee 7/8 drive key or the Lyman Sabot Mold.

Will only be shot through a smooth bore pump.

So wanted to get shooter experience between shooters have used these two.

Thanks

User

Default Re: Slug Molds. Lee7/8 vs Lyman

I load 3 different slugs. Lee 1oz, Lyman 1.2oz and SvarogHunt Sveroboy 36gram.

The Lee is the same general design as the 7/8 but is less nose heavy. Of the three it is the least accurate by a wide margin. According to various channels on YouTube the 7/8 is better but still not great.

My Lyman is a near full bore Foster type design unlike the airgun pellet shaped Diablo style sabot you referred to. It's the second most accurate but is still pretty inconsistent

My most accurate load by far is the Sveroboy. It will shoot clover leafs at 30m and can land hits on torso sized targets at 100m easily.

Svarog make an equivalent of the Lyman Diablo that is on special at the moment. For approx R900 before shipping you get the mold with 4 cavity pins allowing for weights from 28-32 grams. If you are after a sabot Diablo type slug I'd go with that. By all accounts they are accurate.

Given my experience of the Sveroboy I'd consider it rather. It comes with two pins for casting a solid hollow point or a pre-segmented fragmenting slug from the same mold. It's accurate and devastating.

Svarog are on eBay or you can buy direct from their site. Cheaper direct.

svarogunt.ru

Many Thanks

I have seen their slugs on Ebay and shown by Fortune Cookie and Bubba I think reviewer. All good reviews on the Russian Molds.

Since I wont shoot them in my O/U and only applied for the pump action end May.

I think I should order as you suggested. As I have plenty time still to wait for License.

Thanks Again.

User

Link was supposed tobe svaroghunt.ru

User

Enjoy, they are great fun.

Thanks.

With DHL shipping comes to 2000. With standard shipping they offer cheaper. But then again we all know our sa postal service.

And at 2000 its what a Lyman mold will go for about in SA.

User

Wow, that is expensive shipping. I used standard mail with them twice and in both cases it took months for the stuff to arrive. Not sure I'd risk the post office again.

Bear in mind that he Lyman mold comes wihout handles.

Quote Originally Posted by oafpatroll View Post
    Wow, that is expensive shipping. I used standard mail with them twice and in both cases it took months for the stuff to arrive. Not sure I'd risk the post office again.

Bear in mind that he Lyman mold comes wihout handles.
    Luckily have 44m Lyman molds. So the handles is sorted.

With their normal post its alot cheaper But then again with DHL its here in 1 week with no SA postal issues.

I cast the Lee 7/8 slug...and chose it over the 1Oz based on advice from KK20, and bought from 480BC here on Gunsite. I find it more than accurate enough for my sport uses. I pull the shot out of 28g loads and just drop the slug in and push the crimp closed. Easy peasy.

For hunting, I prefer the Brenneke design....but have actually not shot anything sizeable with it in the 25odd years of always "having some with me in case the opportunity presents itself"....that day will come though.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Sweet View Post
    I cast the Lee 7/8 slug...and chose it over the 1Oz based on advice from KK20, and bought from 480BC here on Gunsite. I find it more than accurate enough for my sport uses. I pull the shot out of 28g loads and just drop the slug in and push the crimp closed. Easy peasy.

For hunting, I prefer the Brenneke design....but have actually not shot anything sizeable with it in the 25odd years of always "having some with me in case the opportunity presents itself"....that day will come though.
    I'm really keen to have slugs available for pigs when I encounter them on wing shoots as we sometimes do but have been chicken shit. Have you used your 7/8 Lees through chokes?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast