Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Re: Slug Molds. Lee7/8 vs Lyman

Quote Originally Posted by oafpatroll View Post
    I'm really keen to have slugs available for pigs when I encounter them on wing shoots as we sometimes do but have been chicken shit. Have you used your 7/8 Lees through chokes?
    No, I have only shot them out of my Mossy500 riotgun....which is officially choked like a John Deere exhaust pipe.......I have shot a fair number of Brenneke's through my BRNO SxS's 1/2 choke barrel, with no obvious problems

User

Thanks for the feedback. I have only launched the slugs from the drain pipe of my Mossberg 930. Reckon I'll push test the Lyman sub-calibre slugs through the half and three quarter chokes on my o/u. If they slide, I may man up enough to shoot them.

User

I have cast and shot the older Lyman Foster type slug and both Lee designs (7/8 and 1oz). No experience with the Lyman sabot type, but it looks like a good design to my eyes. Of the 2 Lee's, the 7/8oz version gives better accuracy from my guns.

The Lee moulds work well once smoked and broken in. What irks me is that the "plug" seems to loosen it's rivet after 1000 casts or so. I just drilled and tapped my plug and hold it in place with a cap screw.

my heart at the sea and my soul in the mountains

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    I have cast and shot the older Lyman Foster type slug and both Lee designs (7/8 and 1oz). No experience with the Lyman sabot type, but it looks like a good design to my eyes. Of the 2 Lee's, the 7/8oz version gives better accuracy from my guns.

The Lee moulds work well once smoked and broken in. What irks me is that the "plug" seems to loosen it's rivet after 1000 casts or so. I just drilled and tapped my plug and hold it in place with a cap screw.
    my mould is going strong after many. Are you rough with your toys))
    live out your imagination , not your history.

User

Quote Originally Posted by KK20 View Post
    my mould is going strong after many. Are you rough with your toys))
    Maybe my alloy is not pure lead, so the slug sits tighter on the plug and needs harder taps to get it off.

Slug moulds hate anything exept pure lead (BHN 5).

User

Did you shoot any of those through chokes?

User

Oddly enough I have found my Lee moulds to be by far the most forgiving of alloy. My Svarog and Lyman's stick horribly with harder alloys but my Lee slug, buckshot and bullet moulds seem indifferent.

User

This may be irrelevant but I smoke my moulds with pine 'fatwood' sticks.

my heart at the sea and my soul in the mountains

Maybe my alloy is not pure lead, so the slug sits tighter on the plug and needs harder taps to get it off.

Slug moulds hate anything exept pure lead (BHN 5).
    In something called an instruction sheet they mention something about pure lead ( ja well maybe that was for the Americans)
    live out your imagination , not your history.

User

Many years ago I put a couple of slugs through my ¾ and full choke side by side sg with no ill effects to me or my sg. I know a couple of guys with interchangeable chokes, who played around between chokes to find the most accurate choke for their slugs.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast