Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    User

Quote Originally Posted by KK20 View Post
    In something called an instruction sheet they mention something about pure lead ( ja well maybe that was for the Americans)
    How sure must I be that the lead is 100% pure before casting ⅞ Lee slugs? Just shows you I did r.t.f.i. but must I apply what I read?🤔

User

Default Re: Slug Molds. Lee7/8 vs Lyman

Thanks for the feedback. I love my o/u more than my wife so even shooting my buckshot handloads through it is stressful. Will do a bit of press testing this weekend to satisfy myself.

User

I use range scrap in my Lee 1oz mould and it works perfectly when smoked and hot.

User

Quote Originally Posted by oafpatroll View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. I love my o/u more than my wife so even shooting my buckshot handloads through it is stressful. Will do a bit of press testing this weekend to satisfy myself.
    Think about it, a normal sg load is 28g of lead balls in the wad and a slug is 28g of lead in the same wad.

User

Quote Originally Posted by oafpatroll View Post
    I use range scrap in my Lee 1oz mould and it works perfectly when smoked and hot.
    Thats very good to hear. Thanks

my heart at the sea and my soul in the mountains

Quote Originally Posted by Vaal View Post
    How sure must I be that the lead is 100% pure before casting ⅞ Lee slugs? Just shows you I did r.t.f.i. but must I apply what I read?��
    pure lead will be 7/8 of an oz and alloy less.
    live out your imagination , not your history.

User

Good morning guys

Giving you my experience with slugs. Loaded the lee ones - did not get good accuracy at all. Switched to Lyman 525gr Sabot slugs. Went a bit better bit still had some accuracy issues (key holing). Added some paper wads behind the slugs to avoid the plastic wad and slug getting stuck to each other and also included a rifled choke. Results were a lot better. See below @25m. Works still in progress :)
    20200625_071024.jpg

User

Quote Originally Posted by KK20 View Post
    pure lead will be 7/8 of an oz and alloy less.
    Ok, that I understand but the instruction manual say you must never use alloys in the mold as it will damage it. And I am not in the mood to "kill" a mold to find out. Clearly the manual is over cautious or something in that line.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Vaal View Post
    Ok, that I understand but the instruction manual say you must never use alloys in the mold as it will damage it. And I am not in the mood to "kill" a mold to find out. Clearly the manual is over cautious or something in that line.
    I have thousands through my 1oz mould with no issues yet.

Im using range pickups and wheel weights with my Lyman 44m, Lee 9mmP and Lee #4 Buckshot mold. Still in process of buying the Slug mold for the coming Pump Action. But in all the other molds have no issues so far with range lead. Buckshot mold just have to be well hot otherwise the Buckshot dont form nice in all 18 cavities. But once warm run smooth.

I unfortunately compete with my O/U Browning GTS so it will never see a slug in it. Even if it should work. The slug is purely going to go through the Pump Action.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast