Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    User

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    Depends on the purpose off course, but I would get the bolt action first. Bolt guns are generally much less fussy about ammo. They shoot the cheap unplated ammo reliably and quite accurately. A semi-auto usually prefers plated HV ammo, which is more expensive. A semi-auto is also very HUNGRY. Yes, I love my 10/22, but depending on application, the bolt action usually gets preference.
    My 15-22 consumes Remington Thunderbolts and Cyclones by the 100's between wiping the bolt clean and re-lubing it. That stuff is seriously dirty, you must see my face full of crap because I shoot left handed. LoL

User

Default Re: CZ455 or Ruger 10/22

Quote Originally Posted by Antlion View Post
    How's the pricing? That's the only thing that made me go with the 455. There was a R6000 difference at the time(first lot of 457s)
    No idea. I suppose they have to land first- but they won't be cheap

Bolt action first. Great way to spend an entire day at the range without wrecking the bank account

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

I have both. (452 though, but has no influence on my comments) For easy relaxed shooting and for junior hunting problem animals around the house the bolt action are the better option. The 10/22 also enjoyed a lot and used a lot, but supervision on junior needs to be cranked up a few notches, only a proper range is used and yes, ammo consumption is higher. With a bolt action you can determine relative safety by just inspecting the firing pins position. With a 10/22 the state of the firearm cannot be seen from the outside. You need to operate the rifle to make it safe. (I don't trust safety catches, except those that lock the firing pin right at the firing pin.) Both are accurate. I have the 10/22 Tactical. They are known to be accurate.

If I need to get rid of one and must choose who stay, the 10/22 will stay. But my 452 is not for sale...

User

Quote Originally Posted by Antlion View Post
    How's the pricing? That's the only thing that made me go with the 455. There was a R6000 difference at the time(first lot of 457s)
    I picked up a 457 Varmint for less than ANY 455 I could find now during the lock down from RS Sports in Welkom.

User

Afternoon All,

Thank you for all the feedback.

Based on the feedback and my personal preference I believe the choice is easy, Bolt Action CZ455.

Now to hunt down a great second hand one or the right new one.

To extend the thread, do I now go for a wooden or synthetic stock? Want to use the rifle to maintain dedicated sport shooter status by participating in 22LR events.

I would suggest the wood thumbhole stock .I have pillared and bedded my one and fitted a CZ flyweight adjustable trigger and can maintain .5 inch groups at 50m

Quote Originally Posted by Bundu Dave View Post
    I would suggest the wood thumbhole stock .I have pillared and bedded my one and fitted a CZ flyweight adjustable trigger and can maintain .5 inch groups at 50m
    Hi, do you have a picture or diagram for your pillar bed? I have Cz457 MTR varmint and want to bed it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Good day if you only do the one rifle perhaps consider getting it done by a gunsmith.My reason for suggesting this is the best epoxy for the bedding is hellishly expensive it is Devcon 10112 plastic steel the agents are Summit Agencies in CT .When I bought it in 2019 it cost R10,000 for 500g but I have done 5 rifles so far including a Howa in a Boyds stock which used a lot of epoxy. The other epoxies have a much greater shrinkage rate and are not nearly as good However of you decide you would like to do it I am more than happy to offer any advice I can also there are a lot of good how to videos on U Tube showing the process .

One range visit with my kids shooting a 10/22 and I decided to buy a bolt gun. Semi auto 22s are hungry things. 455 thumhole yellow if you can find one is WOW. 457 is nice. Tikka have a t1x which is lovely.
    Can't go wrong with any of them.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast