Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Duracell debate

User

Default Re: Duracell debate

I always thought the best way to test Duracell batteries is to put them in a mechanical bunny and see how far it runs.

User

Quote Originally Posted by HadEnuf View Post
    I've recently bought two flashlights from Olight. One uses a 21700 cell and the other an 18650. Unfortunately, both batteries are "customised" by Olight and cannot be replaced with some random brand of rechargeable 21700 or 18650 cells. The customisation is for that particular model flashlight, so not even a different Olight cell of the correct size will do the trick.

Perhaps this is the sort of "boost circuit" to which you refer ?
    Boost circuit is in the flashlight itself. The "customized" cells have built-in discharge and over-charge circuitry in it that is proprietary to Olight. this is really irritating since there are universal standards for built-in cell protection circuitry that they could have used. They went this route to ensure they are the only battery supplier; so now your very expensive flashlight lifetime is coupled to Olights willingness and capability of supplying the cells and you can not use external chargers. This is the reason I did not pull the trigger on the recent Olight sale.

User

Quote Originally Posted by HvR View Post
    Boost circuit is in the flashlight itself. The "customized" cells have built-in discharge and over-charge circuitry in it that is proprietary to Olight. this is really irritating since there are universal standards for built-in cell protection circuitry that they could have used. They went this route to ensure they are the only battery supplier; so now your very expensive flashlight lifetime is coupled to Olights willingness and capability of supplying the cells and you can not use external chargers. This is the reason I did not pull the trigger on the recent Olight sale.
    Are there other 21700 batteries that have the + and - on the same side?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Meteor View Post
    Are there other 21700 batteries that have the + and - on the same side?
    Strictly speaking all of them, the cathode it the whole can; it is normally covered by the battery wrap to prevent easy accidental short circuiting of the cell. Which out of plenty of personal experience I can testify with Li based batteries is never a pleasant day. This is most likely the reason why they add protection circuit in the cell.

There is no practical reason for Olight to have gone with this design.

User

I am also disappointed and it is kinda the only reason I left the purchase.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SoldierMan View Post
    Buy the right charger and you can charge one at a time if you like.
    The right charger, could you please give some explanation here.https://www.gunsite.co.za/forums/new...newthread&f=20

User

I see this thread has taken a severe left turn and is now onto torches and rechargeables.
    Just to update on my original post...
    Thumbs up to Duracell customer service.
    Contacted their ca,
    ll centre , had to send some pics and details via email and a day later received reply that they would refund in full.
    Lots of apologies and money should be with me in 10 days...
    Peace of mind that they stand behind their products.
    Signing off... please feel free to continue your battery discussions��

User

Did you ask them why their batteries leak? I hate Duracell's....I've had to throw away enough gear/stuff over the years because the battery acid corrosion from leaking Duracell batteries ate up electronics and stuff. And sometimes the batteries were only in for a relatively short space of time. Then I'll find an old multimeter or something that I haven't even seen in 10 years let alone used........and there will be some off brand of cheapy alkaline batteries in there......completely dead of course...but no leakage at all.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4