Quote Originally Posted by atunguyd View Post
Is that an LED flashlight?

I am have a hard time believing that the problem is that alkaline batteries can't supply the current as they are easily capable of pushing 1-2A.
If your torch is drawing more than that then yes NIMH is a better option but even then you sure not going to get much better than an hours use out of the torch which makes it a pretty inefficient torch in my books.

Maybe the alkaline have to much voltage and the torch is not allowing this turbo mode because of that?

Then again you maybe right and the torch is just inefficient......

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk
Its an LED yes.
You are right about just an hours use. But then. It does have 4 other modes. On low it lasts many many hours, if not days. I never use it at this high level, 900 lumens, but its cool to know its there
Fenix does make 1.5V rechargebles that are apparently working perfectly in this flashlight. It comes bundled with this flashlight so higher voltage is not the problem. I just did not buy it as a bundle so do not have those batteries.
I emailed Fenix about the fact that alkalines does not work on turbo mode. They came back with the explanation that not even all the brands of NIMH batteries can sustain the current drawn. They gave a few brands that will work. Duracell and Eneloops were in that list for sure.
I stopped using alkalines as they can leak, and if left for long in a device will ruin it.
I have a laser distance meter, not a rangefinder but the kind a builder can use indoors to take measurements with. I do not use it much, the other day I wanted to. It was dead. When wanting to replace the batteries they leaked. I had a big issue getting them out. New batteries did not make it work. It was dead. The leaking batteries killed the meter.
Just like you said, NIMH's have much lower internal resistance. That explains why they can deliver more current.

I have other lights that runs just fine on Alkalines,but I will never store a flashlight with them.