Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    User

Default Re: .22 LR bolt-action rifles available in SA?

Quote Originally Posted by Sweet View Post
    Looking forward to seeing this data!
    Me too. It might make me chop my barrel as well.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Bowhunter View Post
    Do you mean they say buying a .22 as a training tool is not worth the price?
    No I'm referring to the new CZ 457 line.

They compared the CZ457 target/trainers that came with factory competition chambers to some other guns and said something like 'for $100 more I would rather take that'.

User

Quote Originally Posted by shooty View Post
    Just read up on 22lr. A 22lr burns up all its powder in 16" of barrel length.
    Some say velocity drops under 21". Some .22 rounds might use slower powder but I have no clue about this

User

Would the Norinco JW15 make the budget list?

User

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceOfficer View Post
    Would the Norinco JW15 make the budget list?
    The Norinco .22lr really is a budget rifle! Made in China, it is a copy of the BRNO model 2. A lot of work must be done on it. I have the JW-23 (.22wmr version) and managed to transform it as an enjoyable lockdown project.

User

Quote Originally Posted by shooty View Post
    Just read up on 22lr. A 22lr burns up all its powder in 16" of barrel length... .
    That statement is not the full truth. Which does not matter, since it is a pretty useless variable anyway.

Yes, most 22LR's will burn up all the powder in a specific cartridge within 16" of bullet travel, but likely much less than that. At what point exactly the powder burns out is actually quite irrelevant, except if muzzle flash is a concern. What is more important is at what barrel lenth the muzzle velocity is the highest. This may be hard to believe, but beyond some point the pressure behind the bullet actually decreases to the point that the barrel friction starts to slow the bullet down. This may (or may not) be bad for accuracy, but it certainly does not help to flatten the trajectory. If precision shooting is your game, then you will likely lean towards subsonic bullets, as the trans-sonic region tends to destabilize bullets and so ruins your rifle's fine accuracy potential. Having a barrel length that does not produce the maximum velocity may not be detrimental to achieving that kind of accuracy. So, generally the short (<16") and the long (>22") barrels are getting the best precision. The latter mostly with open sights, as a longer sight radius is advantageous here.

My point is, choose the barrel length for optimal accuracy with your specific load. Where the powder burns out is of very limited importance.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Leerie18 View Post
    The Norinco .22lr really is a budget rifle! Made in China, it is a copy of the BRNO model 2. A lot of work must be done on it. I have the JW-23 (.22wmr version) and managed to transform it as an enjoyable lockdown project.
    I think the Norinco is a copy of the Brno model 1, not 2

User

User

Thanks for that link

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3