Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Banned

Default Re: Conclusions based on a small sample size.

I shot a gemsbok on the request of the farmer where I was hunting near Ellisras. Used my 303 with 180gr Sierra bullet.

We found a lone bull lying down in a road, but he must have noticed us and started walking away to my right at an oblique angle. As he stopped in an opening I gave him a "bladskoot" and he took off. Getting to the position where he was the tracker and I found frothy blood and I proclaimed that he would be lying 50m away.

We started following the blood spoor and about 300m further found the bull standing looking over his shoulder. Before I could shoot he took off and we set off after him. There were blood spots every 5 to 6m about the size of a ping pong ball. It was easy to follow as he mostly kept to roads. We started at 15h00 and had to stop at 16h45 when it became dark. We had not seen him again and he was moving quickly. We had covered 4km from where I had shot him. That night was not pleasant as I woke up to be reliving the hunt.

We returned the next morning and had my friend as back-up. The bull had gone up a slight hill and we found a spot where he lay down. This was 200m from where we had stopped. Moving ahead we found a second bloodied resting place. The bush was now very thick and suddenly we heard the clatter of hoofs. I battled to see the bull and in desperation shot at a grey outline through the branches. The bull collapsed. We found him dead with my second shot breaking his back.

The big bonus was that he had fallen directly next to an internal road and was easily recovered. Even with all the chasing his meat was still very palatable.

The post mortem revealed that the bullet had broken a rib and then tumbled forward to stop in the small fillet against the backbone. The nose had bent over and did not open at all. It had gone through the top of the right lung and damage was not major. A shot that should have disabled the animal went skew due to bullet "failure". The fact that a BWB or gemsbok takes off after the shot will not have me too worried as they are tough critters.

User

Default Re: Conclusions based on a small sample size.

Quote Originally Posted by driepootx View Post
    The fact that a BWB or gemsbok takes off after the shot will not have me too worried as they are tough critters.
    I consider this to be the norm (with any caliber) and get worried when a large animal does drop in its tracks. Then I get worried again if it does not drop within 200m.

Banned

Arrow Re: Conclusions based on a small sample size.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Leigh View Post
    Alas, Mr. Bell has been known to have a rather odd relationship with the truth.
    And
    You base this comment on ....??????

Have you read his biography ?

https://www.shakariconnection.com/w-d-m-bell-books.html

He was involved in the ABW with the Canadian Mounted Rifles , was a Captain in the RFC with a Military Cross ( apparently awarded by Jan Smuts who was very involved with the RFC )

https://www.safaripress.com/reminisc...nt-hunter.html

Who was around in the areas he hunted in in those days ?
    To work out his "rather odd relationship with the truth."

So odd that you need a LARGE amount of money to purchase the books.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2