Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Default Suppressors on a DI AR15

What do I need to know? Good idea, bad idea? Use anything with the proper thread, or are there specific features? One feature I am aware of is heat. When I spoke to the guys from Gunwarrior they said two mags maximum with theirs.

Default Re: Suppressors on a DI AR15

I will suggest ASE Utra for silencer. And monitor heat. As any silencer gets warm. The Ase is Satinless and rated and tested for Full Auto even on M249 military use.

But they cost a little more. But is worth it and compact.

I shot my gun warrior shorty for the first time yesterday, works well. I’m going to do some dB readings soon to see the reduction in noise. I noticed that after about 20 rounds the mirage started to form, so going to look at a cover for future. One thing I can say is that the internals were quite dirty, I believe that just comes with the territory. I believe getting and Adj. gas block should help somewhat.

Suppressors on autoloaders take a beating.

There is a reason why ASE and others are so much more expensive. The internals, in particular the blast baffle, are made from different materials.

By a can that is rated for an auto loader - preferably full auto.

Don't put a can rated for a hunting rifle on your AR.

My first suppressor, from a very well known old hand in the local industry, after I told him my application, lasted one mag.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

User

There are a few things to consider when mounting a supressor on a SLR:

1. The supressor increases the pressure in the gas system, which increases the action speed. This could throw your cases further at best, and let the extractor rip through a case rim at worst. Adjustable gas blocks help to compensate for this.
    2. A supressor keeps some pressure inside which causes hot gas (and dirt) to blow back through the barrel and into your action. A DI AR already has a lot of dirt that goes into the action and a supressor increases the dirt build-up a lot. I have seen an AR go "burrp" due to dirt build-up in the trigger mechanism. Some supressors are especially made to reduce this back-pressure specifically for SLR use. The name Siama Still comes to mind.
    3. A supressor heats up with every shot. Shooting a mag full of 223/5,56 through a can really heats it up. Now shoot a few mags and you are really cooking. This kind of heat will quickly melt an Aluminium can. It will also disrupt or distort you line of sight to the point where you will not be able to hit anything. There are plans that can be made...

I have designed a low-pressure supressor specifically for SLR use. Not production ready yet and with my current work load it may take a while before I can get there. It is not as simple as a normal bolt-action rifle supressor.

User

Thanks A-R, this is more what I was looking for. I'll invest in a good comp rather, and be damned the RO's poor ears

Quote Originally Posted by pblaauw View Post
    Thanks A-R, this is more what I was looking for. I'll invest in a good comp rather, and be damned the RO's poor ears
    Maybe ask Warren from gunwarrior. The new shorty might be the one to go for.

User

Suppressing 5.56 could be disappointing, re sound reduction, 300 Blackout subsonic on the other hand...

User

I have nothing against warrior suppressors but please don’t push a product that was clearly not designed to go on a semi-auto, i’ve said it before, saw one break within one mag of rapid fire

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by SSP View Post
    Suppressors on autoloaders take a beating.

There is a reason why ASE and others are so much more expensive. The internals, in particular the blast baffle, are made from different materials.

By a can that is rated for an auto loader - preferably full auto.

Don't put a can rated for a hunting rifle on your AR.

My first suppressor, from a very well known old hand in the local industry, after I told him my application, lasted one mag.
    Precisely this. You can't skimp on a quality MSR can, but our options here are limited to ASE and maybe Saaima if they come back at some point... No SureFire cans, Silencerco, AAC, GemTech etc. I hope to see the likes of Sig releasing their range here and it's time someone looks to start widening our selection here. Plenty of good cans available state-side that we can get here with the proper export/import permits. YHM is one that comes to mind.

P.S. A good can will cost as much as your rifle, if not more...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast