Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Re: Suppressors on a DI AR15

On my 308 and 222rem I have ASE. But I have on both Heat covers. Its some silicone which can handle heat on inside and then material on outside. This helps for the heat mirage. Although bolt action rifles. After some shots on hot day you notice it.

I however use a barrel cooling fan between sessions also to reduce heat build up.

Ive bought a small recharge battery pump from Takealot. Its smaller then a small coke can. Used to fill air mattresses. And attached clear pipe to it that goes into chamber. It blows crazy amount of air but you can restrict to your needs for cooling.

Also super handy when your starting a fire to blow air in.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Brendank View Post
    P.S. A good can will cost as much as your rifle, if not more...
    Well, discovering this with nearly every component...7k for a trigger set...who the fuck is that crazy? 3k just for a magwell, 4k for a decent stock...

Quote Originally Posted by pblaauw View Post
    Well, discovering this with nearly every component...7k for a trigger set...who the fuck is that crazy? 3k just for a magwell, 4k for a decent stock...
    LOL. I paid 10 for a Bix n Andy trigger for my 308.

Quote Originally Posted by pblaauw View Post
    Have a look at Timney's new Impact line: https://www.jizni.co.za/performance-...ger-ar-15.html

User

Quote Originally Posted by Wild coast View Post
    Suppressing 5.56 could be disappointing, re sound reduction, 300 Blackout subsonic on the other hand...
    I shoot a 11" barreled 5.56 rifle. That muzzle blast is LOUD! That is even without a brake/comp attached. A short supressor on a SBR makes a huge difference to the shooter's (and RO's) comfort. Just alert the RO, I once had the shot timer fail to pick up some shots while the RO was standing directly behind me...

User

I sometimes wonder if something like a cone shaped muzzle devise like some WW2 Bren guns had or that of the experimental 10 inch Colt AR 15 survival rifle (Severely chopped 60's vintage US Air force version that fit in the seat pack of pilots) wouldn't be a viable option. It wouldn't overheat, probably wont break and it directs the blast forward (away from the shooter) and it would be cheaper than a can and provide maximum discomfort and blast to whomever is getting shot at.

User

Quote Originally Posted by M43 View Post
    I sometimes wonder if something like a cone shaped muzzle devise like some WW2 Bren guns had or that of the experimental 10 inch Colt AR 15 survival rifle (Severely chopped 60's vintage US Air force version that fit in the seat pack of pilots) wouldn't be a viable option. It wouldn't overheat, probably wont break and it directs the blast forward (away from the shooter) and it would be cheaper than a can and provide maximum discomfort and blast to whomever is getting shot at.
    Would that not increase felt recoil a bit?

User

If it does one would need very sensitive equipment or shoulders to measure the (probably negligible) difference between it and a normal cage type flash hider.

The gas volume is not accelerated in any way (versus being stopped or caught by the baffles or frontal surface area of a comp) It is already traveling forwards.

It is simply prevented from dispersing sideways or backwards where it causes discomfort to the shooter.

User

Quote Originally Posted by M43 View Post
    If the target can feel the dicomfort and/or blast, well, then you are not hitting what you are shooting at...

User

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    Just alert the RO, I once had the shot timer fail to pick up some shots while the RO was standing directly behind me...
    Very valid comment. I RO frequently and we have one shooter that shoots with a suppressor on his AR. I have learned to keep an eye on the timer in order to make sure it is picking up the shots. He has complained once that we "crowd" him while he is shooting yet insists on shooting with the suppressor. Go figure.

The heat can have serious consequences. I witnessed a chap slip his gun into his bag after a long stage (in order to move to the next stage) , a few seconds later there was smoke and a struggle to remove the rifle which was melted to the bag from the bag. Since then I am paranoid about bagging my rifle after a long stage as even the comp gets seriously hot.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast