Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Banned

Default Animals that drop on the spot DRT

Messor said :
    Re: Bullet performance data base

Wrong thread, wrong discussion, and something we have debated before, fact is an animal that drops on the spot have f-all to do with a drop in blood pressure or oxygen starvation, most of you old hands are experienced enough to know that, no way no how that is what is bringing down the animal.

I will call it a term never used before, it's a non direct applied CNS

Banned

Default Re: Animals that drop on the spot DRT

I am for now going to for now argue that when a animal has a sudden and rapid loss of blood pressure, it is fatal, it dies, pass's out right there. No blood pressure no - life, it dies as fats as it loses blood pressure.

Blood loss is loss of blood pressure, loose enough blood - no blood pressure.

User

Banned

Talking Re: Animals that drop on the spot DRT

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    That one finished without any real answers

Except that a .50 Browning at 4,000fps with a 750 gr Peregrine might be a DRTHDRTH

I think that some serious test criteria / parameters / protocols need to be worked out and TStone can conduct them.

User

Unfortunately he lives on the plains, he is more than suited to test this for us in the bushveld, with his mediocre creedmoor and vintage 9.3.
    For the plains test he needs proper cartridges, like my 270 instead of a needmoor and my 338winmag instead of noah’s ark.

You guys can all sponsor me and I will do it properly.

User

No need to do tests. What counts for animals also counts for humans. The only DRT is a brainstem shot, not even a brain, but brainstem shot. Google T - zone shots and hostage situations.

All other shots on animals or humans can result in a variable time to death. If all heart shots were fatal we would not be getting them in trauma centres. I would not buy green bananas for a heart injury patient, but some do survive.

Had another guy walk in with a 9mm bullet situated perfectly infront of his corpus callosum (the thing in the middle of the brain). He did not make the week but he held on for some time.

Only the brainstem shot will flip all switches instantaniously. The rest depends on the physiological reserve of the person/animal and so many other variables that you will get bored with the post so I am not even going to try and explain.

User

The difference between a toy and a hunting rifle with 4000 ft-lbs.
    With my 338 and 225 gr SST at nearly 2900ft/s you hit any normal antelope in the body not near it's brainstem and that thing falls down as if it never had any life in it.

I suspect if I hit a human anywhere in the upper torso not much will be left.

User

Yes Messor. All that comes into play. Permanent cavity, temporary cavity with the shock wave. Not saying it could not fall straight down. Most likely the temporary cavity could disrupt the spinal cord by passing nearby it and result in paralysis and death in a few seconds from the associated injuries. So yes I agree the energy dump with the above combo is enormous and could result in a DRT. But to give a 100% guarantee of DRT, a shot with a rifle or even a slingshot to the brainstem will be it.

User

We hit a bunch of Wildebeest with a 155mm HE once when they ignored the red flags on the gun range outside Potch, we could not even count the spots they dropped on, but they certainly dropped on a number of spots.

Banned

Question Re: Animals that drop on the spot DRT

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    The difference between a toy and a hunting rifle with 4000 ft-lbs.
    With my 338 and 225 gr SST at nearly 2900ft/s you hit any normal antelope in the body not near it's brainstem and that thing falls down as if it never had any life in it.

I suspect if I hit a human anywhere in the upper torso not much will be left.
    How many shots do you shoot on the range -- before your SHOULDER is ... "not much is left" ?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast