Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Decent Gunsmith

Default Decent Gunsmith

Hello all
    Can anyone out there please share details of a GOOD gunsmith.
    I tried a particular individual from gun shop well known to this site and he was utter rubbish.
    I have ruger 10/22 that has a shell ejection issue.
    I am based in JHB North so n this vicinity would be great but I will travel.

Thank You.

User

Default Re: Decent Gunsmith

Precision Ballistics
    Northcliff area.
    Ettienne 076 477 6882

THANK YOU

User

Good luck - I too have a 10-22 that stovepipes frequently - at least once in a 25 round mag, which makes it useless for mini rifle shoots.
    I have given up on the gun, and take it as a challenge project.

So far I have played with the extractor - Volquartsen, custom modified, and variations with spring tension
    Ejector - mag angle, versions of the mag ejector, removing the mag ejector totally and working on the rifle ejector.
    Mag - played with mag fit, and retention system
    Barrel spacing, chamber polish, extractor cut, etc.
    Bolt weight
    Bolt spring tension
    Currently machining a new bolt to re cut the headspace with tighter radial dimensions
    If this doesn't work I'll probable make a new receiver.
    All in all, I have spent more on ammo testing the gun than I actually spent on the gun.
    I looked at buying a slow-mo camera, but spending R400k on this is overkill, even by my standards...

Anyway, just a warning that there are some guns that just do not behave. I have seen many others that get a mod or two, and are happy for ever after.

Hey Grim
    For the cost of the rifle I am not sure if all the aggravation is with it.
    However with a silencer an the fun factor I have to try and sort it out.
    Thanks for the info and an insight as to what the future may hold lol

User

It isn't worth it, but I have a good machine shop at home, and access to a few good gunsmiths for advice, so as I said, this is a challenge, not a rifle. I'll probably buy another one to shoot in the meantime...

If anyone knows where I can get a high speed camera that can do about 2000+ fps and is affordable I would really appreciate it...

User

Do you really need that high framerate? The slomo function on my ancient Samsung S5 nicely got a pistol slide's cycling (which admittedly may be slightly slower than a 10/22s bolt cycling).

I bought a Mark IV Ruger Target about 2 years back. I ordered a new Volquartzen Trigger for it from Brownells. HUUUGEE!!! Improvement.

But on same order I ordered the Volquartzen Ejector/extractor for it. The angle on it is slightly more aggressive. With new spring. And Ive not had any ejection issues with it after that. Before that had the odd one.

Weak ammo also can cause stove pipe. As Slide moves forward before completely moving to rear to give case time to eject completely.

User

Re Framerate:

I tested a friends Samsung on Saturday - maybe it will work, I'll have to spend some time on it. The high framerate will be needed to see exactly when, and where the case is getting dislodged.
    I think that the problem is that the case gets dislodged from the bolt as it leaves the chamber, and before it gets to the ejector. I need to figure out why, but I think it has to do with the oversize head cut.

It is not ammo related - I've tested with a number of different brands and velocities.
    I have 3 volquartsen extractors. Funnily enough, there is next to no difference between the OEM Ruger extractor from my rifle and the Volquarsen ones. The V spring is stronger.
    It definitely goes all the way to the rear - I've set up a feeler that gets touched as the bolt reaches the rear of its stroke, and had stovepipes when it touches - and it always touches. it also picks up and feeds a new round flawlessly despite the stovepipe.

Banned

Question Re: Decent Gunsmith

Quote Originally Posted by Grim View Post
    It isn't worth it, but I have a good machine shop at home, and access to a few good gunsmiths for advice, so as I said, this is a challenge, not a rifle. I'll probably buy another one to shoot in the meantime....
    Is one allowed to ( legally) do gun-smithing type work on a weapon ? ( even ones own )

What happens if one knows someone with advanced CNC machines that can do the work but is not a gunsmith ?

I was under the impression that one had to be a properly registered / licensed gunsmith to work on a weapon ?

I am also under the impression that there are people doing gun-smithing work that are not properly qualified ?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast