Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default 6.5 Creedmoor 20" vs 24"

Hi All

Sitting with the tough decision between the 2 , I have a Howa 223 in 20" and just love it as the weight and maneuverability is just superb , now looking to add a 6.5 to the stable but now the tough choice, my application will be small/medium game up to 400m MAX .. the shorter barrel obviously has less speed but accuracy will be better as there is reduced whip in the barrel .. Also from what I read on 140gr bullets the speed difference is actually less than a 100fps between the 24 and 20.. Opinions and inputs that could help with the decision ?

User

Default Re: 6.5 Creedmoor 20" vs 24"

The 24" is plenty accurate, as is the 20" - just a matter of tuning your load. 400m is still pretty far and generally much more risky than say 200m. Both lengths will get you there, but...

For hunting purposes, it would more depend on what you prefer carrying around. Some prefer a slightly lighter and slightly shorter rifle. Personally, I don't mind my 24" plus suppressor for hunting - a comfy strap and good boots help 🙂

Banned

the shorter barrel obviously has less speed but accuracy will be better as there is reduced whip in the barrel
    really !!!!!!
    Your sure about this?

User

I doubt anything with 4 legs will know the difference out to 400m

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    the shorter barrel obviously has less speed but accuracy will be better as there is reduced whip in the barrel
    really !!!!!!
    Your sure about this?
    Well this is how it is explained to me by the bigwig PRS and NRL shots , yet again here to ask help if you could provide input that could help that would be great and prove my statement wrong

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

Banned

Let me put it this way if the speed loss from 24" to 20" was presented as a %, it would be about 3%. The loss in accuracy (in theory only, because in practice there are many long barreled rifles that are more accurate than some given short barreled rifles) would be even less.
    There are loads, bullets, cases and barrels that would make more differance than what you would be able too prove differance due too 4" more or less of barrel length.

Once you have determined OBT for a given barrel, within many 100 meters it will be a moot point anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    Let me put it this way if the speed loss from 24" to 20" was presented as a %, it would be about 3%. The loss in accuracy (in theory only, because in practice there are many long barreled rifles that are more accurate than some given short barreled rifles) would be even less.
    There are loads, bullets, cases and barrels that would make more differance than what you would be able too prove differance due too 4" more or less of barrel length.

Once you have determined OBT for a given barrel, within many 100 meters it will be a moot point anyway.
    Now this is an answer I like thanks treeman diffenitely clears up some question I actually wanted to ask later on if correct load development would negate same differences

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

User

In my limited experience of loading for a few different rifles, I found that shorter thicker barrels were more forgiving in load development than long thin barrels. In other words, if you are off the node on a short fat barrel the spread will be less than with a long thin barrel, but with that said, with a load that hits the node, smack in the middle, both barrel profiles and lengths are capable of the same level of accuracy.

Banned

Taking an existing example from my database QL gives a node speed of 2702fps for a 24 inch barrel and 140CC bullet.

If I shorten the barrel to 20 inches the same node gives a speed of 2566fps. That would still give good killing power up to 300m.

User

Check what Piet Skiet does with a 20 inch barrel 6.5 CM in this video.

(He admits it was a bit of a fluke........)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast