Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default .22LR Barrel length reduction chrono results

.22LR Barrel reduction chronograph results

This was a basic test with what loads i had available at the time.
    I went through the process of having the barrel on my CZ 455 reduced. Formalito had a 16" demo 457 at Huntex and loved the looks and how it seemed to handle. Unfortunately the first batch of 457s were a lot more than the 455s floating around. After doing some reading up and also not being able to find a 16.5" model at the time , I decided on the chop. The model was a brand new 455 Lux, it comes with iron sights. Now i dont mind supressors and threading of rifle barrels provided its not a vintage collectors item. Mass produced CZ does not fit that criteria, and I also had no intention of using the iron sights. I shot about 200 shots with it before going ahead with the barrel chop.
    I contacted Master gunsmith Oom Danie Joubert for the cutting and threading, and got an ASE Eco suppressor from him as well.
    The test was done without suppressor attached. In hindsight i should have also tested with the suppressor to note any differences.

Rifle Setup
    CZ 455 Lux
    Stock barrel 21"
    Chopped barrel 16.5"
    Leupold VX Freedom Rimfire scope

The following brands were tested.
    This is what i had available to me at the time.
    CCI Quiet 22(big fan of this load for a specific purpose)
    S&B sub sonic HP 40GR
    Aguila Super Extra 40Gr Eley Prime(horrible smelling stuff)
    Aguila Super Extra 40Gr Aguila Prime
    SK Standard Plus 40gr

I made sure i used the same ammunition from one box, so that its from the same batch.
    The listed velocities are a 10 round Average.

Brand Velocity Listed on box Velocity Pre chop(21") Velocity Post chop (16.5") Difference
    CCI Quiet 22 710fps 659 756 +97
    S&B sub sonic HP 40GR 1017fps 1064 1094 +30
    Aguila Super Extra 40Gr Eley Prime 1130fps 1059 1108 +49
    Aguila Super Extra 40Gr Aguila Prime 1130fps 1045 1100 +55
    SK Standard Plus 40gr 1073fps 1040 1065 +25

From the chronograph results, we can see an increase in velocity in all 5 loads tested. The CCI Quiet velocity probably shows due to the minimal powder being used, there is a larger decrease in velocity than other loads. Gunsiters can give thee analysis of the results.
    In terms of the reduction of the barrel, i achieved what i wanted, a shorter handier .22 bolt action.
    Hope you guys find this interesting, albeit non scientific.

User

Default Re: .22LR Barrel length reduction chrono results

Really interesting thanks! I have a Brno Mod 2 that might just get chopped.

Any difference in accuracy observed?

User

Accuracy wise, I really didn't shoot many groups besides the CCi and Aguila before the reduction. Aguila was already shooting really well before the chop, post reduction both loads seemed to have tightened up slightly. Another thing I should have done as well with all the loads was accuracy testing.

User

Please add a photo of said rifle, with and without suppressor?

Thanks for the info Antlion, you made up my mind too, I was going to shorten my 455 barrel to 18” but will shorten it to 16.5”. Testing may not be “scientific “ but real world data goes a long way in my books

User

Very interesting results Antlion. Dit you give the barrel a good clean and then fired enough rounds to lead it back up before doing the tests pre and post chop?

The results you got is the opposite than I expected.

User

Quote Originally Posted by janfred View Post
    Very interesting results Antlion. Dit you give the barrel a good clean and then fired enough rounds to lead it back up before doing the tests pre and post chop?

The results you got is the opposite than I expected.
    The results are probably unique to 22LR... perhaps may also be different if HV ammo was used. But given the standard / subsonic loads, as well as wprd of mouth wisdom re gas volumes of such ammo this makes perfect sense.

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

This is interesting. I have CZ and a 10/22. Have never shot them both on the same day with the same ammo over a chronograph. Have shot S&B Sub Sonic from the 10/22 the other day and they clocked average of 1040 fps.

User

Great stuff.
    FWIW, here is a resource that I came across the other day - it was an exercise specifically looking at the impact of barrel length on muzzle velocities across a range of calibres and ammunition.
    http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/22.html

I was planning on shortening my Sako Quad barrel. As 16" is said to be enough for a 22lr to burn all powder. The twist rate on it is however 1/18. So I am still pondering. On cutting shorter then the twist rate. Or allowing the bullet to make complete turn before exiting

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast