Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Re: .22LR Barrel length reduction chrono results

Thank you for posting this, I think I'll be chopping my barrel when the rifle comes home.

User

Quote Originally Posted by shooty View Post
    I was planning on shortening my Sako Quad barrel. As 16" is said to be enough for a 22lr to burn all powder. The twist rate on it is however 1/18. So I am still pondering. On cutting shorter then the twist rate. Or allowing the bullet to make complete turn before exiting
    You sure about that twist? 1:16 is the norm, one of mine is 1:17 and it shoots lighter (shorter) HV bullets better than 40gr ones.

The rifling is just there to impart the spin. There is no need for the bullet to complete a full revolution.

User

I got the barrel of my BRNO no.2 chopped to 16" a few years ago after reading up on velocities etc. Now shoots even better than before and I get one hole groups at 50m with Highland AX standard velocity ammo. I've always lover her, just more now!

User

Just be careful. Some rifle barrels are "tightened" at the end if you chop that off it loses accuracy.

Make sure before you chop your rifles barrel

User

Quote Originally Posted by shooty View Post
    I was planning on shortening my Sako Quad barrel. As 16" is said to be enough for a 22lr to burn all powder. The twist rate on it is however 1/18. So I am still pondering. On cutting shorter then the twist rate. Or allowing the bullet to make complete turn before exiting
    Both notions are without any scientific foundations.

The bullets won't stop spinning when leaving the rifling. In fact, with the linear velocity increase, the rotational velocity increases proportionally.

And the powder stops burning quite a bit before 16" of bullet travel. That is only the point where peak velocity is reached. After that, the gas pressure behind the bullet is less than the barrel friction, so the bullet loses velocity again. You will still find some unburned powder granules in your supressor, no matter how long the barrel is.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by janfred View Post
    Very interesting results Antlion. Dit you give the barrel a good clean and then fired enough rounds to lead it back up before doing the tests pre and post chop?

The results you got is the opposite than I expected.
    With a .22LR rifle, the powder is burnt up at 16", and sometimes even less. The bullets is at its fastest at 16". That is why a shorter .22 barrel gives higher speeds.

User

If the bullet comes out the end and you hear a report, it means that there is still quite a bit of pressure behind it. Pressure means acceleration. That is why I was expecting SV and HV ammunition to have higher velocity with a 21".

Hence my question about cleaning the barrel.

User

There isn't really any reasons to quote 16" or powder burn rate. The chart by Leerie shows that some are better at shorter lengths and some are better at who knows- the chart stops at 18". If you spend as much time as a jobless wanker behind the computer you will realize that not even the bullet matters, some people are getting different results at the same length.

So pick what you like and please remember Peashooter's advice. Many of the target rifles have a choke point lapped in just before the muzzle.

User

The few tests with standard rifles having the barrel cut down showed very similar results on another rimfire forum. I came across the choke phenomenon as well but there was no definite answer with regards to CZ or Ruger having the barrels tapered.

User

Out of interest, what is the average barrel length of .22 benchrest rifles?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast