Quote Originally Posted by Antlion View Post
The few tests with standard rifles having the barrel cut down showed very similar results on another rimfire forum. I came across the choke phenomenon as well but there was no definite answer with regards to CZ or Ruger having the barrels tapered.
I don't know all the rifles that have a choke that they lapped in by hand but stuff like the Winchester 52, BSA martini, Anschutz and then some surprises in older rifles we would not think were done, because of the pride and time those guys were known for, perhaps even many more than we think. It has not been discussed many times.
To me it is also sad seeing classic firearms made into something they're not. I would ask anyone who wants to thread or tap an older rifle- especially target rifles- to rather consider selling it to someone and using the money on a newer rifle more fit for the purpose.

I think if you find a choke point near the muzzle with your cleaning brush in a modern or sporting rifle like a CZ or Ruger it will most likely be luck from manufacturing inconsistency because all my barrels have some areas that are harder to brush, some sommer have 3, mostly not near the muzzle.

If I found a stiff point near the muzzle of one of those new sporting barrels that I don't mind cutting AND I had a lot of time/money I would recut the crown and test accuracy a few times over and over to see if I could find some magic spot where it shot amazing.

CZ lapping discussion
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...d.php?t=426829