User

Default SAPS - Transfer of Ownership

Hi everyone

I have received my competency.
    I purchased a Glock from a private owner, and was issued a SAPS 534 form when he handed in the gun to Dave Sheer.
    About 3 weeks later, the dealer has issued me with a SAPS 271 form.
    However, the gun still hasn't come off the previous owner's name.
    The dealer told me that they'll notify me when it does come off his name.

How long does this process usually take?
    Can I avoid this waiting process by buying a new gun directly from a dealer, and having them issue me with a SAPS 271 form?

Thanks in advance

Banned

Default Re: SAPS - Transfer of Ownership

You need to fill in your info on the form and then take it to the DFO to apply for the licence. Remember also motivation if on separate page, R140, 2 ID photos and copy of present owners ID (if applicable). Ask the DFO and they will assist.

User

Thank you, but please read the question

User

I'd expect a largish dealer to have access to the electronic submission service for SAPS 350 forms... my local (small) dealer has that access and the transfer of ownership to the dealer's name is essentially instantaneous, once they do the submission and get the confirmation from the SAPS system...

User

Quote Originally Posted by Carter Brink View Post

How long does this process usually take?
    Can I avoid this waiting process by buying a new gun directly from a dealer, and having them issue me with a SAPS 271 form?

Thanks in advance
    Some gunshops have access to the SAPS licencing system themselves and can transfer a gun onto their name "immediately". They have to pay fees to SAPS to do so but I would have thought that Dave Sheer is one of those.

If they don't have access then they need to take the paperwork to their local DFO. Last time I had to go that route it took about a month to get it onto their name but I would guess that it can take anything from a week or 2 up till several months. There's no consistency.

You could theoretically speed up the process by buying a new gun from a dealer and get the SAPS271 from them, but last time I did that I went to hand in the application at the SAPS and it turned out the new gun was still on the importer's name even though it had been in the dealer's strongroom for a couple of years. That took about 6 months to sort out.

I now this doesn't give the definitive answer you're hoping for and probably not much hope either but if I were you, I would ask Dave Sheer if they can book it over themselves and if so, when will they do it?

And best advice I can give is to be patient because it will eventually come right.

User

Thank you very much for the detailed answer..

If the transfer of ownership could take several months, I'd rather purchase a second gun which already is on a dealer's name (paper work ready), and apply for my OSS license with that gun. By the time the license is approved, the first gun should be transferred to the dealer's name.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Carter Brink View Post
    Thank you very much for the detailed answer..

If the transfer of ownership could take several months, I'd rather purchase a second gun which already is on a dealer's name (paper work ready), and apply for my OSS license with that gun. By the time the license is approved, the first gun should be transferred to the dealer's name.
    Just be sure before you do that.

Just to make my previous post clearer: When I bought a brand new rifle from a dealer, he gave me the paperwork and assured me everything was in order. When I got to the DFO, he checked on the system and the rifle wasn't yet even on the dealer's name. Took 6 months to resolve.

A different dealer managed to get a private seller's gun onto their books and issue me with the paperwork in about a month - much quicker than the dealer that assured me "everything is in order"

There is no consistency and you probably don't want to be stuck with 2 firearms waiting for paperwork.

I still say first step is to ask DS if they can transfer the seller's gun onto their books themselves or if they have to do it the old manual way via physical paperwork being submitted to the DFO.