Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    User

Default Re: Rifle Safe Search

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    Really sound advice, buy a bigger safe than you want, the R6/800 more is so worth it.
    Even if you sure you do not need it, just do it.
    Luckily my brother did not do the same. Bought first a 3 - rifle safe, then upgrate within a year to a 6 rifle safe, and then after a few months changed to a double door safe. Luckily for me I bought both the 3 and 6 rifle safes from him, still almost brand new, for R1000 each.

User

Quote Originally Posted by PduPreez View Post
    Luckily my brother did not do the same. Bought first a 3 - rifle safe, then upgrate within a year to a 6 rifle safe, and then after a few months changed to a double door safe. Luckily for me I bought both the 3 and 6 rifle safes from him, still almost brand new, for R1000 each.
    Admit it: You are now eyeing the double door...

User

Quote Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
    You've got to buy additional 'stuff' to put in the safe, so perhaps not just yet... ;)

User

Where will you put the additional stuff without the double-door?...😉

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by PduPreez View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
    If you want the double door safe , just plant this idea - A walk In Safe and give him the paperwork
    I have since found this information from www.gunownerssa.org

Extract: Government Gazette No: 15652
    Notice No: 787, Regulation Gazette No: 5305
    22 April 1994

Safes
    28. (1) The requirements with which a safe for the safekeeping of an arm shall comply for the purposes of sections 3(6) and 39(1) (j), (k) and (I) of the Act and these Regulations, are the following:
    (a)Material: the construction of the safe shall be of mild steel of commercial (or higher) quality;
    (b)side thickness: the thickness of the floor, roof and sides shall be at least 2 mm and the wall thickness of the door shall be at least 3 mm.

(2) Specific requirements in respect of the design and construction of the doors of a safe referred to in this regulation, shall be the following:
    (a) Openings: When the door is closed, there shall not be an opening of more than 1 mm between the door and the door-frame.
    (b) Door-frame: If the hinges are concealed, the door-frame shall have a bended and welded construction with a reinforced rebate on three sides of the frame and in the case of hinges with a normal construction, the door-frame shall have a bended and welded construction with a reinforced rebate on all four sides of the frame. There shall be a protection guard (for instance a deflecting plate) to protect the lockpin.
    (c) Bolts: When the door is closed and locked, it shall not noticeably move if force is exerted by hand or with the handle, and the intervening space between any bolt and the rebate shall not exceed 1 mm. Doors of safes which are higher than 500 mm shall be equipped with at least three bolts.
    (d) Hinges: Doors shall have an upper and a lower hinge which shall be so constructed that the door may open through at least an angle of 100 degrees and that the distance between the hinges does not exceed 350 mm.
    (e) Locks: The safe door shall be equipped with one lever lock which shall have not less than ten levers of which not less than three shall be provided with false notches or a combination lock of the type which has three gears or an electronic lock which complies with the requirements approved of the South Africa Bureau of Standards:

(3) The safe shall to the satisfaction of the Commissioner-
    (a) be affixed flush to a floor, wall or other immovable structure or part thereof of the house, flat, residence or other dwelling place of an applicant concerned; or
    (b) where the safe is installed in a vehicle of the applicant concerned, be affixed non-conspicuously to the body of the vehicle, and the applicant shall submit a certificate of the installer wherein the following particulars are specified:
    (i) date of installation;
    (ii) name and address of installer;
    (iii) registration number, machine and chassis number and make of vehicle; and
    (iv) that the vehicle is equipped with an immobiliser.

Strong-rooms
    29. The requirements with which strong-rooms shall comply for purposes mentioned in regulation 28, shall be the following:
    (a) the walls, roof and floor shall be of reinforced concrete of not less than 300 mm;
    (b) the reinforcing of the concrete shall consist of bars of a diameter of 10 mm on a square grid, face to face, of which the horizontal and vertical bars are not more than 125 mm apart;
    (c) the strength of the concrete shall not be less than 30 mega pascal after 28 days;
    (d) the covering screen over the reinforcing on the walls and slab shall not be less than 40 mm;
    (e) the thickness of the door shall not be less than 6 mm and the door shall be equipped with at least three bolts;
    (f) the safe door shall be equipped with one lever lock which shall have not less than ten levers of which not less than three shall be provided with false notches or a combination lock of the type which has three gears or an electronic lock which complies with the requirements approved of by the South African Bureau of Standards; and
    (g) a switch shall be installed on the inside of the strong-room connected to an external warning device such as a flashing light or an alarm.

Apparatuses, devices and instruments
    30. The requirements with which apparatuses, devices and instruments shall comply with for the purposes mentioned in regulation 28, shall be the following- The apparatus, device or instrument shall to the satisfaction of the Commissioner-
    (a) be manufactured from steel of at least 2 mm thick;
    (b) be capable of enclosing or covering the arm concerned wholly;
    (c) have an effective integral locking mechanism;
    (d) have a hinge mechanism for the cover or lid thereof which shall ensure that if the locking pin thereof is removed, the cover or lid shall not be capable of being opened or removed;
    (e) have another mechanism which shall ensure that if the hinge mechanism is removed, the cover or lid shall nevertheless not be capable of being opened or removed; and
    (f) have a facility with the aid or use of which the device, apparatus or instrument may be affixed to another structure such as a wall or a floor, or the body of a vehicle.

User

Just bought another safe from Rebel Rifle safes in Randburg, great quality, range,service and price.

User

Quote Originally Posted by eon View Post
    I'm in the same boat, 8 to 10k for a basic metal box seems a bit rough, but it makes sense to buy bigger than you need now so you have room for more toys later.
    I have one more then a metal box up for sale:
    https://www.gunsite.co.za/forums/sho...rity-CAT2-Safe

User

I went to see Gerhard at Rebel safes in Randburg today, he has a huge selection and I found the right safe at a great price, he also delivered it immediately.
    give him a call at zero 8 four 247 five 9 eight 9

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2