Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    User

Default Re: SAKO A7 .3006 Bushveld Hunting Load Development Advice

Hi, had a range day 14/07.2020 and attached the results.

My interpretation on 5 shot string:
    Hornady SSt 180gT, 50.6gr - Extreme spread of 86 FPS, i like the speed which is around 2500 fps, good for the SST but grouping not so fabulous. No further development
    Hornady SST 180gr, 52.8gr - Extreme spread of 8 FPS, the speed which is around 2600 fps, fast but still good for the SST but grouping good. I think further development is necessary. Adjust seating depth to find sweet spot.
    Norma Oryx 180gr 53.6gr -
    Extreme spread of 25 FPS a Norma suggested load, speed which is around 2600 fps, fast but this is a bonded bullet (premium) will perform well (not to much meat damage i hope). Grouping not so fabulous but workable. No further development for now.
    Norma Oryx 180gr 53.8gr -
    Extreme spread of 20 FPS, speed which is around 2650 fps, fast but this is a bonded bullet (premium) will perform well (not to much meat damage i hope). Grouping not so fabulous but workable. No further development for now.
    Norma Oryx 180gr 51.4gr -
    Extreme spread of 17 FPS, speed which is around 2500 fps, ideal for the bush. Grouping okay and i think i should develop further by adjusting seating depth.

Appreciate a review of my comments based on the results. Kindly share with me your thoughts. See me an email address to send you the file as it is to large for the post.

Regards Clinton

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Parma View Post
    Hi, had a range day 14/07.2020 and attached the results.

My interpretation on 5 shot string:
    Hornady SSt 180gT, 50.6gr - Extreme spread of 86 FPS, i like the speed which is around 2500 fps, good for the SST but grouping not so fabulous. No further development
    Hornady SST 180gr, 52.8gr - Extreme spread of 8 FPS, the speed which is around 2600 fps, fast but still good for the SST but grouping good. I think further development is necessary. Adjust seating depth to find sweet spot.
    Norma Oryx 180gr 53.6gr -
    Extreme spread of 25 FPS a Norma suggested load, speed which is around 2600 fps, fast but this is a bonded bullet (premium) will perform well (not to much meat damage i hope). Grouping not so fabulous but workable. No further development for now.
    Norma Oryx 180gr 53.8gr -
    Extreme spread of 20 FPS, speed which is around 2650 fps, fast but this is a bonded bullet (premium) will perform well (not to much meat damage i hope). Grouping not so fabulous but workable. No further development for now.
    Norma Oryx 180gr 51.4gr -
    Extreme spread of 17 FPS, speed which is around 2500 fps, ideal for the bush. Grouping okay and i think i should develop further by adjusting seating depth.

Appreciate a review of my comments based on the results. Kindly share with me your thoughts. See me an email address to send you the file as it is to large for the post.

Regards Clinton
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    All I can say is that if I had too choose between the Oryx and the SST, I would chose the Oryx even above a better grouping from SST. The Oryx at a 2 " grouping would beat the SST at a .5 " grouping in my books for hunting.

Banned

The data you used in your QL calc, was that measured data i.e. length of barrel and case capacity? You also did not mention what COL you now used. Did you use a chrony at 5m?

My recipe for load development is first to get die speed close to the calculated node speed. If that does not give good results then only will I try to fiddle with the COL. As you change the length you are in effect also changing speed. Give all the data and then we can analyze together. That will help to understand the methodology of QL.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2