Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Default FARM HOMESTEAD SECURITY

Just wondering how many of us here on Gunsite (whats left of us) live on farms? In light of the continued scourge of farm attacks and increasing levels of violence and barbarity during such attacks, that we could share ideas and tips on how to better counter this threat. If you on a farm, plse indicate, and also your thoughts on the idea.

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

Default Re: FARM HOMESTEAD SECURITY

I am living on a farm and working on farms everyday of my life.

In a rush now, but my first few thoughts:

1. Decent fence with alarm if possible.
    2. Beams around house.
    3. Strong gates and burglar bars on all windows, not only the ones opening.
    4. Activate alarm systems.
    5. Panick button around neck that connects to farm watch radio and broadcast distress meassage.
    6. Always armed and enough spare ammo on you.
    7. MOST IMPORTANT ONE: HAVE A FAMILY CONTINGENCY PLAN.
    8. Be aware.
    9. The best gates left open are useless.
    10. Cordon off the sleeping area and living area. Deep sleep or watching TV = same level of awareness = very low.

User

Simple, farmers should carry their guns.....

Banned

Lightbulb Re: FARM HOMESTEAD SECURITY

Quote Originally Posted by Shigawagga View Post
    could share ideas and tips on how to better counter this threat. If you on a farm, plse indicate, and also your thoughts on the idea.
    Do we really really need to keep on trying to re-invent the wheel ?
    There is so much information out there but it would appear that every man needs to "discover" this topic ...

User

This is an addition to and not replacement of what has been mentioned herein before.

I am not a farmer but two of my best friends are.

From an early detection point of view, IP cameras (with alarms to your phone) and trap cameras (also with alarms to your phone) are very useful. (My one friend has these IP cams all over their farm and have figured out a way to make them work with small solar panels & batteries with point antennas to a central system)

Consider investing in a thermal camera.

User

These attacks do not appear in the news, does anyone have a good source for news about the attacks and maybe statistics and or analysis of the attacks to study? We are a bit out of it here in the desert, but it is important to know about it.

User

What happened to the thread which reported on the farm attacks? I think Avislog contributed the most articles?

User

Statistics on Farm Attacks can be found on the Facebook page of "Oorgrens Veiligheid".

Also check out "Rome Research Institute of South-Africa. They have graphs and pie charts etc. Really up to date and only true attacks are recorded.

southafricatoday.net reports on most farm attacks as well.

User

User

To add.
    Join community safety groups.
    Know your neighbors. If possible train with them.
    Get good lighting and back up for it. Ensure the lights shine away from the house and floods the property not spotlight and cause dark corners.
    Dogs inside the house, mine is a fail safe for the electronics of the alarm.
    Get alarm batteries that can last 24 hours.
    On alarms - I covered all exterior walls with beams. I hate it when they quote on PIR in my bedroom!!
    Automatic gates, ensure they cannot be opended manually. There is a setting on the motor to prevent this.
    Change your routine.
    Try to prevent any uninvited guests to access the property - buying sheep/chickens etc.
    Get rid of cash and do not flash it when you do have.
    Most attacks will be pre-empted by a recce of a few days or weeks. Look for the signs and people arriving to check things out.
    Monitor staff, some are helping the attackers. But some may be coerced with violence to provide asssitance.
    Quote Originally Posted by BEX View Post
    These attacks do not appear in the news, does anyone have a good source for news about the attacks and maybe statistics and or analysis of the attacks to study? We are a bit out of it here in the desert, but it is important to know about it.
    Maroela Media or Afriforum, then you can look at the various Farming Unions. Also understand not all incidents make the news and some only a few days later.
    I believe if you follow Ian Cameron on Twatter, it may be the fastest way to see incidents.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast