Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: FARM HOMESTEAD SECURITY

Quote Originally Posted by Steven001 View Post
    Were YOU there? Or too busy suing people at the time?
    There's a saying that rings a bell. Arguing with some people is the same as trying to wrestle a pig in its pen. In the end, you are annoyed, frustrated and covered in shit. Meanwhile, the pig is having the time of it's life and continues to shit all over the place while squealing.

User

Quote Originally Posted by zguy View Post
    There's a saying that rings a bell. Arguing with some people is the same as trying to wrestle a pig in its pen. In the end, you are annoyed, frustrated and covered in shit. Meanwhile, the pig is having the time of it's life and continues to shit all over the place while squealing.
    I fully agree with the part about the shit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by zguy View Post
    The other half of the matter is that far too many people are also quite happy to take the bait.

I watch in disbelief as yet another good thread gets derailed.

Moderators - can we please clean this thread up and delete all the comments that have nothing to do with the spirit of the OP?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by StanCT View Post
    The other half of the matter is that far too many people are also quite happy to take the bait.

I watch in disbelief as yet another good thread gets derailed.

Moderators - can we please clean this thread up and delete all the comments that have nothing to do with the spirit of the OP?
    You and me both brother

Banned

I think Brenneke is a shit stirrer, every thread he's been on degenerates

User

Ok, so I have read all the replies after my original post and have chosen to ignore the irrelevant ones. I notice that most of the focus is placed on so-called physical security measures such as fences, cameras, lights, being armed etc, etc. I Agree with Brenneke in that so much info is available on the subject and we shouldn't re-invent the wheel.

I also believe that we cannot (as yet) compare our situation with that of Rhodesian farmers during the war.

So I will try and mention a few things that are more in line with what I was trying to get at in my original post:

1. In the area that i live, I am surrounded with farms bought up by Govm't at the outset of the land-claims farce. These were pristine farms which have since gone to ruin and have now literally returned to bush. There are groups of cattle roaming around freely, seemingly owned by individuals/groups residing in the nearby townships. Every now & then I catch a guy on my prpoerty supposedly "looking for his cattle". A convenient excuse to set snares and scope out my property. Local SAPS refused to do anything as they were of opinion that he has legit cause to be on my property. (Not so). Now i wonder if other farm residents/owners have the same problems, and how do they deal with it?

2. Same sort of problem with dog hunting.

3. Setting of fires in the veld: they do this to chase up small game, but could also use this ruse to get us to leave the homestead.

4. The danger of access roads being blocked for an ambush, or waiting for you at a farm gate. Many attacks have taken place in this manner.

5. It is a matter of public record that most farm attacks happen during the day and perpetrators know exactly how to gain the element of surprise. They do their homework properly and are well aware of it if you are permanently armed and have dogs, alarms etc. Yet they still come!

Those few points are just the tip of the iceberg. Its not all about turning your farmstead into a fortress, and/or carrying a gun. It a way of life not to be an easy target and it takes knowledge, intelligence, preparedness and resolve to counter the threat. Perhaps we can contribute more thoughts along these lines?

We had farms near the Lesotho border.
    A nightmare never knowing when you are going to be attacked.
    And attacked you will be.
    Sold the farms, now just cattle farms. 100 people without work.
    Was armed every second of the day. Electric fences, beams, dogs and alarms.
    Patrolling at night on foot with night vision. Being extra careful over the full moon period.
    Sitting on koppies alone for nights on end. Creeping around hoping to ambush the bastards before they got one.
    Being very aware especially when coming back from town.
    We were better off in the old Rhodesia we had farms there as well.
    Dear Brenneke stay away with your BS in my comment. I don't think you have even lived on a farm or in the bush.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Shigawagga View Post
    4. The danger of access roads being blocked for an ambush, or waiting for you at a farm gate. Many attacks have taken place in this manner.
    Would it be feasible to convert to motorhekke / cattlegrids?

What about also profiling and keeping record of the trespassers that you catch on your property, including the issuing of warning of intention to prosecute, if caught again (including mugshots). If there are incidents further down the line, this evidence might be in your favour, if the law becomes involved.

We cleared the bush and grass around all points where we had to stop. Cattle grids were also used.
    Mugshots of anybody entering or leaving the properties. Even if they were just loitering down a public road.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Shigawagga View Post
    Ok, so I have read all the replies after my original post and have chosen to ignore the irrelevant ones. I notice that most of the focus is placed on so-called physical security measures such as fences, cameras, lights, being armed etc, etc. I Agree with Brenneke in that so much info is available on the subject and we shouldn't re-invent the wheel.

I also believe that we cannot (as yet) compare our situation with that of Rhodesian farmers during the war.

So I will try and mention a few things that are more in line with what I was trying to get at in my original post:

1. In the area that i live, I am surrounded with farms bought up by Govm't at the outset of the land-claims farce. These were pristine farms which have since gone to ruin and have now literally returned to bush. There are groups of cattle roaming around freely, seemingly owned by individuals/groups residing in the nearby townships. Every now & then I catch a guy on my prpoerty supposedly "looking for his cattle". A convenient excuse to set snares and scope out my property. Local SAPS refused to do anything as they were of opinion that he has legit cause to be on my property. (Not so). Now i wonder if other farm residents/owners have the same problems, and how do they deal with it?

2. Same sort of problem with dog hunting.

3. Setting of fires in the veld: they do this to chase up small game, but could also use this ruse to get us to leave the homestead.

5. It is a matter of public record that most farm attacks happen during the day and perpetrators know exactly how to gain the element of surprise. They do their homework properly and are well aware of it if you are permanently armed and have dogs, alarms etc. Yet they still come!

Those few points are just the tip of the iceberg. Its not all about turning your farmstead into a fortress, and/or carrying a gun. It a way of life not to be an easy target and it takes knowledge, intelligence, preparedness and resolve to counter the threat. Perhaps we can contribute more thoughts along these lines?
    With point 1, I've seen first hand how many cops don't want to help if it means paperwork. I highly suggest you find out who the station manager is. Take names of the cops who bulldust you and go speak to the station commander. Usually if the station commander is worth his salt, he will take it further.

Take a photo of your trespasser too.

This kind of kak you need to put up with puts me off the idea of moving to a rural area. I would lose sleep...

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast