Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    User

Default FARM HOMESTEAD SECURITY

Just wondering how many of us here on Gunsite (whats left of us) live on farms? In light of the continued scourge of farm attacks and increasing levels of violence and barbarity during such attacks, that we could share ideas and tips on how to better counter this threat. If you on a farm, plse indicate, and also your thoughts on the idea.

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

Default Re: FARM HOMESTEAD SECURITY

I am living on a farm and working on farms everyday of my life.

In a rush now, but my first few thoughts:

1. Decent fence with alarm if possible.
    2. Beams around house.
    3. Strong gates and burglar bars on all windows, not only the ones opening.
    4. Activate alarm systems.
    5. Panick button around neck that connects to farm watch radio and broadcast distress meassage.
    6. Always armed and enough spare ammo on you.
    7. MOST IMPORTANT ONE: HAVE A FAMILY CONTINGENCY PLAN.
    8. Be aware.
    9. The best gates left open are useless.
    10. Cordon off the sleeping area and living area. Deep sleep or watching TV = same level of awareness = very low.

Quote Originally Posted by Adoons View Post
    I am living on a farm and working on farms everyday of my life.

In a rush now, but my first few thoughts:

1. Decent fence with alarm if possible.
    2. Beams around house.
    3. Strong gates and burglar bars on all windows, not only the ones opening.
    4. Activate alarm systems.
    5. Panick button around neck that connects to farm watch radio and broadcast distress meassage.
    6. Always armed and enough spare ammo on you.
    7. MOST IMPORTANT ONE: HAVE A FAMILY CONTINGENCY PLAN.
    8. Be aware.
    9. The best gates left open are useless.
    10. Cordon off the sleeping area and living area. Deep sleep or watching TV = same level of awareness = very low.
    I don't live on a farm (I grew up on a farm though in the Cape at a time when farm attacks rarely if ever happened, I was lucky) but carry a gun from the moment I get up to the moment I go to sleep. This should be doubly so for living on a farm.

Making your bedroom impregnable is a must. While you are asleep you are at their mercy. Your bedroom should be a fortress, if they want to get in the effort put in must be enough to waken you, so that you can arm yourself.

Agree with the rest of Adoons' points as well.

Banned

Arrow Re: FARM HOMESTEAD SECURITY

Quote Originally Posted by SoldierMan View Post
    I
    Making your bedroom impregnable is a must. While you are asleep you are at their mercy. Your bedroom should be a fortress, if they want to get in the effort put in must be enough to waken you, so that you can arm yourself.
    Agree with the rest of Adoons' points as well.
    A farmer must -- farm
    He / she must go about their daily tasks -- outside the "fortress"

In doing so there are many opportunities for an attacker where the farmer is vulnerable.

A farmer cannot farm AND be a full time rural security operative ALL at the same time !

One of the top tier farmer organisations needs to design and implement a PRIVATE rural "Commando-system"

Quote Originally Posted by Brenneke View Post
    A farmer must -- farm

In doing so there are many opportunities for an attacker where the farmer is vulnerable.

A farmer cannot farm AND be a full time rural security operative ALL at the same time !

One of the top tier farmer organisations needs to design and implement a PRIVATE rural "Commando-system"
    Yes of course I was talking about at night when you can be locked up tight.

Carrying a gun at all times is a must though.

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

Quote Originally Posted by Brenneke View Post
    A farmer must -- farm

To farm effectively we also need to sleep effectively. To sleep effectively I don't want to stress that a "poking finger" in the dark will wake me up.

This is the harsh reality. We can implement safety measures at the farmstead, but out in the lands and kraal etc you are also vulnerable.

User

Simple, farmers should carry their guns.....

Banned

Lightbulb Re: FARM HOMESTEAD SECURITY

Quote Originally Posted by Shigawagga View Post
    could share ideas and tips on how to better counter this threat. If you on a farm, plse indicate, and also your thoughts on the idea.
    Do we really really need to keep on trying to re-invent the wheel ?
    There is so much information out there but it would appear that every man needs to "discover" this topic ...

User

This is an addition to and not replacement of what has been mentioned herein before.

I am not a farmer but two of my best friends are.

From an early detection point of view, IP cameras (with alarms to your phone) and trap cameras (also with alarms to your phone) are very useful. (My one friend has these IP cams all over their farm and have figured out a way to make them work with small solar panels & batteries with point antennas to a central system)

Consider investing in a thermal camera.

User

These attacks do not appear in the news, does anyone have a good source for news about the attacks and maybe statistics and or analysis of the attacks to study? We are a bit out of it here in the desert, but it is important to know about it.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast