Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Default Re: FARM HOMESTEAD SECURITY

Quote Originally Posted by Adoons View Post
    I am living on a farm and working on farms everyday of my life.

In a rush now, but my first few thoughts:

1. Decent fence with alarm if possible.
    2. Beams around house.
    3. Strong gates and burglar bars on all windows, not only the ones opening.
    4. Activate alarm systems.
    5. Panick button around neck that connects to farm watch radio and broadcast distress meassage.
    6. Always armed and enough spare ammo on you.
    7. MOST IMPORTANT ONE: HAVE A FAMILY CONTINGENCY PLAN.
    8. Be aware.
    9. The best gates left open are useless.
    10. Cordon off the sleeping area and living area. Deep sleep or watching TV = same level of awareness = very low.
    I don't live on a farm (I grew up on a farm though in the Cape at a time when farm attacks rarely if ever happened, I was lucky) but carry a gun from the moment I get up to the moment I go to sleep. This should be doubly so for living on a farm.

Making your bedroom impregnable is a must. While you are asleep you are at their mercy. Your bedroom should be a fortress, if they want to get in the effort put in must be enough to waken you, so that you can arm yourself.

Agree with the rest of Adoons' points as well.

User

A good camera system is a massive advantage, if you can see them coming you are all ready in the lead

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned

Arrow Re: FARM HOMESTEAD SECURITY

It would be interesting to compare the number of incidents of farm attack and how many farmers / people were killed in the Rhodesian troubles
    and
    Compare to what has happened in SA in peace time
    Then
    Have a look at the methods and systems that Rhodesian farmers implemented
    ( I think the results will show that the Rhodesian Farmers methods were highly successful )
    They did have a rural watch back up ( the "Bright-Lights") and the army and police on call
    However most of the time they had to be dependent on themselves.

Go speak to an old Rhodesian farmer ( there are still a few left -- that have not made a double emigration and are now in Australia / New Zealand / the UK / the US -- and other places )

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SoldierMan View Post
    I
    Making your bedroom impregnable is a must. While you are asleep you are at their mercy. Your bedroom should be a fortress, if they want to get in the effort put in must be enough to waken you, so that you can arm yourself.
    Agree with the rest of Adoons' points as well.
    A farmer must -- farm
    He / she must go about their daily tasks -- outside the "fortress"

In doing so there are many opportunities for an attacker where the farmer is vulnerable.

A farmer cannot farm AND be a full time rural security operative ALL at the same time !

One of the top tier farmer organisations needs to design and implement a PRIVATE rural "Commando-system"

User

Quote Originally Posted by Brenneke View Post
    It would be interesting to compare the number of incidents of farm attack and how many farmers / people were killed in the Rhodesian troubles
    and
    Then
    ( I think the results will show that the Rhodesian Farmers methods were highly successful )
    They did have a rural watch back up ( the "Bright-Lights") and the army and police on call

Go speak to an old Rhodesian farmer ( there are still a few left -- that have not made a double emigration and are now in Australia / New Zealand / the UK / the US -- and other places )
    Easy, they had the support from their Government - police and military. Ours has very little impact on any crime irrespective of the where or to who. Private individuals cannot fight crime on their own. That is why in a civilized world and even in communist states, the state does that.
    In order for them to be 100% effective they basically need to privatise the complete criminal justice system.

A farmer must -- farm

In doing so there are many opportunities for an attacker where the farmer is vulnerable.

A farmer cannot farm AND be a full time rural security operative ALL at the same time !

One of the top tier farmer organisations needs to design and implement a PRIVATE rural "Commando-system"
    Yes of course I was talking about at night when you can be locked up tight.

Carrying a gun at all times is a must though.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowfever View Post
    In order for them to be 100% effective they basically need to privatise the complete criminal justice system.
    I think that that is perhaps what is already slowly happening ....

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

A farmer must -- farm

To farm effectively we also need to sleep effectively. To sleep effectively I don't want to stress that a "poking finger" in the dark will wake me up.

This is the harsh reality. We can implement safety measures at the farmstead, but out in the lands and kraal etc you are also vulnerable.

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

and
    Then

Rhodesian farm attacks and current attacks in RSA are not having even a remotely same type of Modus Operandi or mission outcomes.

In Rhodesia it was declared war. For instance if under attack and a farmer shot to the outside of his house without clear targets and lay down cover fire and thereby killing a terrorist it was deemed appropriate and lawful. In RSA you will be charged. In Rhodesia attacks where also carried out by soldiers shooting from a distance and then fled asap over the borders. A lot of times (most) the attackers didn't even bother to go inside the fence and the house. They also were not after any loot. Here it is a close and personal attack. Nothing to compare.

and
    Then

Rhodesian farmers were all very supportive of each other and had quick access to reaction groups in a lot of cases. Further to that, they had a government and military that was fighting for them. Rhodesia was an agricultural economy so thier farmers were the lifeblood of the country. Firepower was encouraged. Further to that, people that survived had the support of their farmworkers, once they lost that support thier lives were at far greater risk, and with the support of their workers and the general community they would know when trouble was coming.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast