Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    User

Default Re: FARM HOMESTEAD SECURITY

Quote Originally Posted by moe786 View Post
    The sad part to this is that 90% of the time information is fed from the inside.

And as sum1 said if u rely on outside help ie security companies. It may jus be too late when they pitch up.

Hence the saying "love thy neighbor" lol
    I would say 100%.

The thing is, your trusted and loyal employees are easily intimidated. The BG tell them "We know who your brothers, sisters, parents and kids are. We know where they live. You do as we tell you or you will never see them again." Now how does that compare to the offer from their employer? He will likely never threaten them with death...

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

Some of my neighbours have trial cameras in strategic access points to their farms that send a sms photo when something is captured. Not helping in places where animals are grazing. Over the years it happened often (3-5 times/year?) that somewhere in the extended community was alerted to movement on their farms by these. Immediately security was beefed up and awareness and tracks could be followed the next day and get an idea of the movements. I believe it prevent attacks.

User

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    I think the issue is much more complex than just replacing the commandos with private security. The commando members were the farmers themselves and they were supported (armed, equipped, trained) by the gubbermunt. They usually developed good intelligence capabilities and knew that their own livelyhoods were at stake. Something private security can probably never do, exept maybe if get highly-paid pros, which most farmers just can't afford. Another issue is reaction times in rural areas. Any outside help will take ages to arrive when seconds matter. This means that only the people at the scene can actually give immediate assistance. The rest can at best block roads and contaminate the scene. The fact of the matter is that the victims are on their own and need to prepare accordingly. Many people lament the demise of the commandos, demand their resurrection, demand the return of the death penalty etc. etc. None of this will help. Get your mindset right and prepare to deal with the matter yourself.
    I agree fully, so surely farmers could then very well be their own "commandos"
    Funding can be achieved through donations, as can training and equipment
    I know MANY would love to contribute

Being unarmed, or having the gun in the safe is a common South African problem too.

User

I am a farmer, just my normal job of getting produce harvested , packed and shipped can be a 16 hr day 6-7 day week during harvest , harvest if you are diversified can be a big part of your year , I carry , hunt and sport shoot mainly to stay in practice, but I cannot be my own security or commando. I have cameras , but unless you have someone monitoring them they exist to investigate after stuff happens. Cost of security is high , not matter how you look at it.

The most successes that I know of was where farmers worked with the farm workers and the communities from where the troublemakers is likely to originate.

Security companies that attempt to secure your perimeter and nothing else seems to fail, the most successful security companies have been the ones that investigate events in a whole area, then engage the police and the community. Attacking the perpetrators and blaming everyone often turn the whole community against you and the police, engaging them turn most of them into allies.
    It is not a fight that you win alone.

I agree that inside information through intimidation is a big problem , but it can be used both ways. It is hard work to engage the community and calls for an even temperament and calm approach and not many farmers can or want to do it unfortunately, those that do stop blaming the community for the problems and reduce the number of enemies they have and increase the number of allies.

User

Quote Originally Posted by BEX View Post
    Security companies that attempt to secure your perimeter and nothing else seems to fail, the most successful security companies have been the ones that investigate events in a whole area, then engage the police and the community. Attacking the perpetrators and blaming everyone often turn the whole community against you and the police, engaging them turn most of them into allies.
    It is not a fight that you win alone.
    HPG is a case in point. Sakkie had a good operation.

Banned

Arrow Re: FARM HOMESTEAD SECURITY

Quote Originally Posted by GAZZAMCK View Post
    I fail to recall the last attack on a SA farm where an RPG was shot through the bedroom window, or grenades used to flush the family out.
    I do believe that there have been cases where families have been -- chased out ?
    IF I am not mistaken by fire
    Cases as well where very sophisticated RF jammers were used
    Also on the Zim border where landmines were planted on RSA farms
    Do NOT think that it cannot happen [soon]
    EDIT
    How far are we away from it ( RPG's / Landmines / Grenades -- and so on and so forth )

https://www.politicsweb.co.za/opinio...egime-to-die-i

BTW;
    The person I worked for in Zim was friendly with the person who was first attacked -- Marc De Borchgrave
    I actually met him one day when he and his family flew in to the property / ranch -- on the Zambezi river.
    Yes that is how close Rhodesians were ( and Zimbabwe just after Independence during the honeymoon period )

Believe or not -- to be honest I now no longer give a sh!t

Banned

Arrow Re: FARM HOMESTEAD SECURITY

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    The required training is provided by Lukas Swart and his team from AKSKA.
    Ope Brief aan Lukas Swart

https://vaandel.co.za/ope-brief-aan-lukas-swart/

User

Quote Originally Posted by BEX View Post

The most successes that I know of was where farmers worked with the farm workers and the communities from where the troublemakers is likely to originate.

Security companies that attempt to secure your perimeter and nothing else seems to fail, the most successful security companies have been the ones that investigate events in a whole area, then engage the police and the community.
    I have heard rumors of great success with Security companies paying off informants from the local communities. It is worked in as a special levy type of payment by all who engaged the security company.

User

You'll be surprised what a few K or some needed infrastructure for the local chief gets you.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Brenneke View Post
    Anyone who believes anything Siener Van Rensburg or the like said is an idiot. There is no less harsh word to use, sorry.
    And nothing they said will be of any use in a farm security scenario.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast