Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Purchasing a firearm from a family member

Good day everyone. This may have been discussed before but I am going to ask anyway. I am in the process of purchasing two rifles from a family member. My question is - what forms and documents are required from the family member from whom I am purchasing the rifles? I don't want to have the my DFO tell me at the time of application that I am missing some form or another. I do know that a certified copy of the family member's ID is one of these documents, but is there anything else that is often missed or forgotten?

Sent from my GM1901 using Tapatalk

User

Default Re: Purchasing a firearm from a family member

Depending on your DFO

1. Copy of their licences front and back
    2. Copy of their ID card front and back or ID book
    3. Letter of Sale (optional)
    4. Correctly completed original 271 form.

User

Quote Originally Posted by holdingthezero View Post
    Depending on your DFO

1. Copy of their licences front and back
    2. Copy of their ID card front and back or ID book
    3. Letter of Sale (optional)
    4. Correctly completed original 271 form.
    Thanks a lot!

User

Sorry MFouche94, if I may hijack your thread since you have received your answer.

Due to the purchase being from a family member, there is no need to dealer stock. When the license is approved, the seller is now in possession of a firearm which is no longer licensed to them.

Now, if the seller is in another province, transporting the firearm is the next challenge. I assume the seller cannot transport the firearm to the buyer?

Is there a time frame in which the buyer needs to collect from the seller?

Sent from my FIG-LA1 using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by Keepleft View Post
    Sorry MFouche94, if I may hijack your thread since you have received your answer.

Due to the purchase being from a family member, there is no need to dealer stock. When the license is approved, the seller is now in possession of a firearm which is no longer licensed to them.

Now, if the seller is in another province, transporting the firearm is the next challenge. I assume the seller cannot transport the firearm to the buyer?

The easiest option used to be a permission to store permit, granted based on the fact you were going to license the firearm within a year. As I understand, these have been done away with.

Banned

Thumbs down Re: Purchasing a firearm from a family member

Quote Originally Posted by Keepleft View Post

Enough red-tape and hassle to drive a saint to drink
    Perhaps the only way to face SA firearms-legislation
    Perhaps dealer stock is not such a bad option when looking at the legal implications / complications ? ( except for the rent ... )

User

I think this is unfortunately an area that remains unaddressed by the current legislation. I'll cross that bridge when I get there. I am under the impression that license approvals are going to take longer due to the amnesty and on top of that the Kung Flu.

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

The current owner (family member in this scenario) are still in possession of his license. Should he still have the firearm with him and get inspected by some way he still has a license to show. I don’t see the problem there. On the SAPS 271 the seller are also confirming to keep the firearm safely stored until the new licensed owner can take possession of it.

There would be fancy law points about this, but if you get your license and he still has his license and you collect the firearm in a reasonable time there should be no concern. As long as his is still a valid license.

I have bought numerous firearms privately and that is just what happens.

User

Why not a permit to store? The current owner must just come and deliver the rifles into your safe.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Adoons View Post
    There would be fancy law points about this, but if you get your license and he still has his license and you collect the firearm in a reasonable time there should be no concern. As long as his is still a valid license.
    Thanks Adoons. This seems reasonable.

If the seller transports the FA to the buyer after the buyers license is approved, and is stopped in a roadblock, he can present the following if necessary:
    - sellers license (was valid until buyers license approved)
    - copy of buyers license
    - maybe a sales agreement or avidavit?

This should reasonably show that the firearms are going to be delivered, I would think.

I will also investigate the storage permit with my DFO when the time comes, thanks Vaal.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast